• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 VETERANS

airborne85

In memory of my Father.

William Tom Edward Cartwright

Captured by the Japanese 15 Feb 1942 in Singapore and held in the Changi POW camp.

“Worked” on the Burma-Thailand “death” railway October 1942 thru’ May 1944 including on the Bridge over the river Kwai (which actually was not the river Kwai it was built over the Mae Klong river and renamed after the film came out!!!)

June 1944 my Father arrived at the POW camp 17 Omatu (Fukuoka) transferred from Thailand in one of the “Hell Ships”.

Sep 1945 he was liberated by the US forces.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Being in the Air Force stationed in Germany as a young airman in the early 80's got me hooked on 2002's.  I knew very little about BMWs but in 1981, I bought a 75 Euro spec Sahara 1802.  I drove that 1802 to many countries in Europe and owning that 02 is all it took to get me addicted.   I brought back from Germany a 74 2002 (very rusty, totaled by a red light runner in 1994) and have owned square tail light 02's ever since. I wanted my current Sahara tii to look like the first 02 (except 13" wheels) that I owned.  The Euro bumper conv was done and side marker lights/reflectors deleted. Being in the AF gave me many trips back to Germany over the years to gather 02/E30 parts in my spare time, i.e. Euro spec crack free one piece dash, red tip antenna, Italian turn signals (sold), instrument clusters, etc...

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

My father was trained to be a mechanic by the National Guard in the late 60s. He was mostly into American cars until he got his first ride in a friend's 2002 in the late 70s, after that ride he tried to buy the car but his friend wasn't ready to sell. So he looked for one until he found and  bought the 1974 2002 that we still have to this day in 1980.

• Like 3

USAF, 1966-1997, active, to Vietnam, and reserve, then called up for Desert Storm in 1991 (went to Oklahoma--by 2002!)

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Holy crap you guys.  I got "lucky" and broke my ankle in jump school and hung out in Alaska for a couple of years.  My little brother went to the desert for the second round- actually the tank he was on that pulled down that big statue of Saddam...

• Like 3

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.