• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

02 VETERANS

airborne85

3 minutes ago, coloincaalpine said:

Mornin' Dave, Thanks to you and your Bro's service.

dq

Sure Dan.  Y'all, too.  I got seriously lucky and hardly did anything.

Maybe we should start to think about a spring get together...

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I visited the USS Midway in San Diego Harbor yesterday. If you have the chance it's a must see thing to do. I met and talked to many Veteran / Docents who were on board. The most special moment was meeting Jack down in the engine room who very humbly told us he was at Normandy on D-Day. He will be turning 95 this month. It was an absolute honor to meet him, very emotional and a special moment for all of us.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, coloincaalpine said:

Lived in Solana Beach/DelMar and spent lots of time aboard the Midway. Every friend that came to town got a trip to the Midway. Vets get a decent discount to board. If you look over the port side , you will see one of SanDiego's premier fish restaurants "The Fish Market",  great finish to a Midway visit.

dq

Lol I go on vacation in Solana Beach every couple years. I'll have to checkout the Midway, I think I've been to The Fish Market. I'm in Oakland CA, when I was in the Boy Scouts we spent the night on the USS Hornet which is now a floating museum at the old Alameda naval station. Very emotional for me since my great uncle was stationed at Alameda during WWII and served on an aircraft carrier. Spending the night on the Hornet was an eye opening and creepy experience but well worth it.

• Like 2

Navy active duty, 1974 - 1978.  Been to WestPac three times.

Navy Seabee reserves, 1980 - 1996, west coast.

re. the Midway.  A classmate of mine was a Navy pilot and was on the Midway for three years.  Here's a video he made while leading a tour group on the Midway ........

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Welcome home RVN vets

Edited by Mike A
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

On 11/11/2019 at 10:27 AM, coloincaalpine said:

Gordon,   Where were you stationed?  I was at Hahn AB 67-68.  That is where I learned about German engineering and never looked back.   BMW mechanic now, for over 50 years.

I was at Sembach Air Base near Kaiserslautern from FEB 79 - AUG 82 (but worked at Hahn often).  Been back several times, worked in Berlin for seven weeks in 1989, left two months before the wall came down.  I worked as a contractor for six months at Ramstein Air Base in 2004 and was deployed as a Reservist to Stuttgart for four months in 2008 (after I spent six months in Qatar, I was asked to stay on active duty and deploy to Stuttgart, twist my arm.).

I agree, fell in love with German engineering.and I haven't looked back either. I have a owned a 2002 consecutively for 38 years. bought my first one in 1981.  Here is some of the rough duty I experienced in Stuttgart. 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/71274-im-off-to-the-nurburgring-historics/

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

23 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Lol I go on vacation in Solana Beach every couple years. I'll have to checkout the Midway, I think I've been to The Fish Market. I'm in Oakland CA, when I was in the Boy Scouts we spent the night on the USS Hornet which is now a floating museum at the old Alameda naval station. Very emotional for me since my great uncle was stationed at Alameda during WWII and served on an aircraft carrier. Spending the night on the Hornet was an eye opening and creepy experience but well worth it.

Two of my co-workers took their sons on the overnight scout trip...Both of those big brawny men told me that was a scary night, all kinds of different noises , they say the ship is haunted..........?

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 9:47 AM, 2002iii said:

All of the Doolittle raiders are gone now. They reside in heaven and visit Hornet pilots’ ready room often

• Like 2

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Oh its definitely haunted, think about how long it was in service and how many men must have perished in service on it. A lot of the compartments are chained off and dark around the ship and people say they see things moving in the shadows. Spending the night we didn't get much sleep because of the ghost stories we had been told by the veteran tour guides and lots of creepy noises. Going to the head in the dark with just a flashlight was one of the scariest experiences I've ever had, it didn't help that I'm 6"6' and had to become a contortionist to fit through the doorways.

• Like 3

US Navy 1961-1964 Then Merchant Marine 1967-1972.  Purchased my first 02 in Feb, 1968.

My father was in the 82nd airborne and transferred to the 101st three days before D day.

He was killed during the invasion.

Edited by gracer
  • Thanks 4