• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please delete

Fixer

12 minutes ago, Fixer said:

What do you mean by lack of a knotch in the cowl? Pic?

Tii’s with aluminum runners and E12 heads had a factory notch cut into the center of the top lip of the firewall. There were a few exceptions, I believe. This notch might have been to facilitate timing (from the flywheel), or was perhaps for some other reason, a reason lost to history.

Here’s my ‘73, with firewall notch.

Regards,

Steve

CEBF04D3-C47A-4627-BE15-5825381C4DD9.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

an error in Archives records or a typo

I think typo.  New staff maybe.  My letter came from Julia O.

BMW Group Archiv

WAY Group 
Alfred-Arndt-Str. 2
80807 München
Internet: www.waygroup.de

Now coming from ...Classic Brand.

28 minutes ago, Fixer said:

What do you mean by lack of a knotch in the cowl? Pic?

1053044154_DSC02837alt2.jpg.18c9f510071a832939b8838603f62b71.jpg

73 Inka Tii #2762958

On 11/18/2019 at 9:19 PM, Fixer said:

NOTE

Information previously displayed  has been removed as per author's request......no reason provided

.....not germane to the thread but interesting to see this car came off the line the same day as mine (2580042)) 

Edited by joysterm
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulTWinterton said:

I think typo.  New staff maybe.  My letter came from Julia O....

I suspect typo as well, Paul.  (Although I also believe that Julia reports to Andreas Harz, who is the chief of Group Archives.)

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Tii’s with aluminum runners and E12 heads had a factory notch cut into the center of the top lip of the firewall. There were a few exceptions, I believe. This notch might have been to facilitate timing (from the flywheel), or was perhaps for some other reason, a reason lost to history.

Here’s my ‘73, with firewall notch.

Regards,

Steve

CEBF04D3-C47A-4627-BE15-5825381C4DD9.jpeg

Right I just made the leap as you posted. Mine doesn't have this. But of course the pic file is too big ! ;)

It has a 5 speed. I haven't had it on the lift yet. Long story. 

It *may* be a CR 5 speed. Would not surprise me on an early Tii.

Try moving shift lever all the way to the left (against your leg), and then pulling down. That would be 1st gear.

Reverse is all the way left and up..

If it has the CR transmission, check for a Limited slip too. Also, QR steering box.

Looks like a super fun car, regardless.  Love the time capsules.

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

On 11/19/2019 at 4:15 PM, JsnPpp said:

It *may* be a CR 5 speed. Would not surprise me on an early Tii.

The YouTube video says overdrive 5-speed to me. Neither an overdrive nor a close-ratio 5-speed would surprise me because both modifications were being made from early on: U.S. service members were returning from European tours of duty with cool parts, like close-ratio 5-speeds, from the ‘60’s onward; and the overdrive transmissions began arriving here, in numbers, with the 320is in 1979.

The fact that someone added a 5-speed, however, might suggest the other mods Jason describes.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

46 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The YouTube video says overdrive 5-speed to me. Neither an overdrive nor a close-ratio 5-speed would surprise me because both modifications were being made from early on: U.S. service members were returning from European tours of duty with cool parts, from the ‘60’s onward; and the overdrive transmissions began arriving here, in numbers, with the 320is in 1979.

The fact that someone added a 5-speed, however, might suggest the other mods you describe.

Best regards,

Steve

There are no mods. What mods did I describe?

If fitted with a 5 speed from the factory I doubt the dash would still be screen printed with the 4-speed H pattern don't you think?

47 minutes ago, Conserv said:

The YouTube video says overdrive 5-speed to me. Neither an overdrive nor a close-ratio 5-speed would surprise me because both modifications were being made from early on: U.S. service members were returning from European tours of duty with cool parts, from the ‘60’s onward; and the overdrive transmissions began arriving here, in numbers, with the 320is in 1979.

The fact that someone added a 5-speed, however, might suggest the other mods you describe.

Best regards,

Steve

Thanks Steve. I stand corrected - I watched the video without audio and so did not hear his walk through of the gears..

Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

6 hours ago, Fixer said:

There are no mods. What mods did I describe?

If fitted with a 5 speed from the factory I doubt the dash would still be screen printed with the 4-speed H pattern don't you think?

Sorry.  I was referring to the mods — limited slip differential and quick ratio steering box — that Jason noted. Worth checking!

The overdrive 5-speed transmissions, such as yours, came largely from e21 cars and became popular beginning in the 1980’s.

(I believe the shift pattern on the dash was a U.S.-spec thing — someone who knows more please stop me before I embarrass myself too much! And... the number of U.S.-spec ‘02’s that were factory-equipped with the optional close-ratio 5-speed could probably be counted on Max Hoffman’s fingers: assuming he bestowed that favor on a few friends. Thus, I really don’t know whether any ‘02’s received a 5-speed shift pattern on the dash!  I believe the Euro-spec ‘02’s that received factory close-ratio 5-speeds were equipped with a shift-pattern shift knob. And no BMW overdrive 5-speeds were available on 4-cylinder BMW’s until ‘02 production had ceased!)

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

10 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Sorry.  I was referring to the mods — limited slip differential and quick ratio steering box — that Jason noted. Worth checking!

The overdrive 5-speed transmissions, such as yours, came largely from e21 cars and became popular beginning in the 1980’s.

Regards,

Steve

Yes, I know many running and have used the 320i 5. 

It doesn't seem to have LSD as I raised the rear and rotated one tire to find the opposite rotated in the opposite direction. 

I dont know if it has a QR box.

Hey, I'm looking to delete this thread but will be back once the car is cleaned up.

How would I go about deleting this?

• Confused 1