• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please delete

Fixer

But, Vince, putting aside Mr. Delete’s personality, this looks like a great buy for $10K. If he’s got a title in his name that says BMW, VIN 2760236, this is a great project! 

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

You do have a point, Steve. The price and the fact it looked complete was the primary reason my friend went to take a look. 

As long as you tread carefully and discount any unverified info, could work for someone looking to do a complete resto. 

• Like 1

'72 2002tii 'Liesl'

On 1/3/2020 at 4:30 PM, ray_ said:

It's as safe as thai food with @danco_

:D

The FBI and myself have a peculiar relationship. They are at my home so often that I designated a spare key for when they come over and I'm not there. I don't like them waiting outside when they are just over to harass and interrogate me. 

I'm a good host, not a monster. Sheesh. 

Edit: I offered both special agents a beer last time they were over but they had to verbally decline (because recording devices were still active). 

Edited by danco_
  • Haha 3

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

1 hour ago, tzei said:

"Danco_Airways flies yer contrabands!"

Feds saw your ad over at tor? 

I wish it was that simple. 

Apparently you can't explore the beauties of Colombia or the architecture of Mexico City multiple times in a year without being suspected of distributing drugs. 

I told them I'm a drug consumer, not a drug dealer! Allegedly of course.

They didn't think that joke was funny. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Danco, it’s because you’re a Californian.  Any Californian who visits Mexico and South America in the same year goes on the “Henry” list.

• Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

3 hours ago, 0257 said:

Danco, it’s because you’re a Californian.  Any Californian who visits Mexico and South America in the same year goes on the “Henry” list.

My favorite is when I'm randomly selected for a TSA Special Screening that takes 40 extra minutes because they have to go through every seam of every article of clothing, the bag itself, all toiletries, swab everything for explosive powder remnants, and then finally, the ever so thorough body search where I have not one, but two separate agents cuff my balls like two fresh bluejay eggs. I can never decide if this is an honor or if it's supposed to humiliate me. I guess I don't really care. 

But this has happened the last 6 times I flew commercial. Now I fly private. 

Strange group those TSA agents are. My favorite explanation is "Look, I'm just doing my job". That will hold up well in the future. 

Edited by danco_
  • Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

9 hours ago, danco_ said:

My favorite is when I'm randomly selected for a TSA Special Screening that takes 40 extra minutes because they have to go through every seam of every article of clothing, the bag itself, all toiletries, swab everything for explosive powder remnants, and then finally, the ever so thorough body search where I have not one, but two separate agents cuff my balls like two fresh bluejay eggs. I can never decide if this is an honor or if it's supposed to humiliate me. I guess I don't really care. 

But this has happened the last 6 times I flew commercial. Now I fly private. 

Strange group those TSA agents are. My favorite explanation is "Look, I'm just doing my job". That will hold up well in the future. 

Can’t wait to hear the details about the “private” search.

• Haha 1

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 10/5/2021 at 7:38 PM, mvliotta said:

Well, wouldn’t ya know, this car is up for sale. 

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/d/haverford-1971-bmw-2002-tii/7388679495.html

A friend of mine was Interested in the car and went to take a look tonight. He was greeted by the gruff and generally-annoyed owner. Because my friend is not that that knowledgeable, he asked that I talk to the owner to see if there were any issues.

Me: How long have you had the car?

Owner: 27 years

Me: Oh, I thought it was since 2019

Owner: Where did you get that idea?!?

Me: From your Instagram post from 2019 saying you just got the car

Owner: I gotta go guys (and walks quickly back to house)

Here is a screenshot of his Instagram post just before he deleted it 10 min later:

2C9556F5-7139-4E5D-AAB5-AC7E448F80F6.png
His CL ad also says it has never been in an accident…sooooo buyer beware. 

Vince

Is it possible the current owner purchased the car from @Fixer? Or, alternatively, is it possible that @Fixer didn’t actually own the car — but was long familiar with the car in November 2019 — when he inquired about it, and perhaps that was why he was so insistent on deleting every trace of his inquiry?

Regardless, the current owner is only aware of, or can only recall, the original, erroneous email from BMW Group Archives. This is the one that stated the build date as December 21, 1971, and the legal delivery date as December 23, 1973. I emailed Archives and they said, yes, indeed, that was a typo and the correct legal delivery date is December 23, 1971 — a copy of this is in the Registry entry.

We discussed this issue in the thread. But, depending on the facts, this seller might not be familiar with this thread!

Regardless, last I checked, a complete and restorable 1972 tii — today — is a screaming deal at $9,500. Show up with a trailer, offer $7,500 in cash, and make a deal on this thing! This assumes, of course, that the seller has a title for the car.

Regards,

Steve

5 minutes ago, Conserv said:

is it possible that @Fixer didn’t actually own the car

That's the way I remember this thread starting out.  Fixer was not the owner.

My guess is that the owner is not following this thread.

I'll bet @Fixer isn't either.   (last visited two days after joining the forum and starting this thread)

Tom

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

That's the way I remember this thread starting out.  Fixer was not the owner.

My guess is that the owner is not following this thread.

I'll bet @Fixer isn't either.   (last visited two days after joining the forum and starting this thread)

Tom

Thanks, Tom,

And you’re correct, neither is likely following this thread. The seller on Craigslist, who signs off as Matt, says he has “Clean PA title in my name.”

But both @Fixer and Matt — same or different persons — had/have copies of the same erroneous Archives letter, with the typo of “1973” in lieu of the correct “1971”. First photo below.

And if I add Matt to Mariani, the recipient of the erroneous Archives email, and Google it, I get a Linked-In page for Matthew Mariani, who operates Mariani Motorsport, The R Institute, in… you guessed it, Haverford, PA. Second photo below. And the Instagram posting — shown by Vince previously — about the purchase of the car was done under an R Institute title. There is also a Matthew Mariani in Haverford who is a contractor. Same Matthew Mariani? Different Matthew Mariani? Father and son?

If there’s a PA title, there’s a PA title! And if the car is sitting in Haverford, it’s in Haverford. And if the title says something akin to Matthew Mariani as the title holder, and shows a VIN of 2760234, this looks like a legit sale.

Best regards,

Steve

3859F7C9-4FAD-4F9F-8972-5837449953D2.jpeg

7F6AA074-CF02-4AD1-95B0-020DD0EC2297.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ray_ said:

Yeah, but have you put any thought into this, Steve? ?

??

I’m simply flabbergasted, Ray, that there’s so little interest in a restorable 1972 tii offered at a 2015 price — in the same world, or so I assume, where people are eager to throw tons of dinero towards… just about anything…. ??

I want to see this car in the hands of someone who will restore it! 

Best regards,

Steve