• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestions for window glass on door--outer seal

Mike Self

Has anyone come up with a workable alternative for the black plastic (formerly rubber) weather seal that acts as a squeegee between the outer side of the door glass and the aluminum window sill trim (it fits into a slot in the sill trim).  Not sure if that piece is still available as a spare part, and the entire sill trim assembly with both outer seals is over $150/side.  

Originally this part was rubber (kinda like a wiper blade) but was superseded by a plastic replacement sometime in the mid-late 70s.  I haven't replaced that part since 2001; it was still available then.

Anyone found a workable replacement, or, if they're still available, a source and part number?  The factory parts book is kinda vague on the part number.  Look at page 41-25 and you'll see what I mean.   

cheers & TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This is the long one that fits on the outside of the window and acts as a squeegee 

A51211813195

Rubber seal (outer window seal) fits for left or right side you need 2 for 1 car

Special offer price valid: 1/23/2020

instead of €9.95

You also need the shorter one that fits between the molding and the vent window frame

Bought "squeegees" from Paul Wegweiser at bimmer.com. Found my driver side was some crappy plastic thing with felt. I was able to buy the outer assembled trim/squeegee/felt for each side.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

4 hours ago, 02Les said:

Part # 51 21 1 847 798 for the '02s

That's the foldable plastic strip with a thin length of mouse's fur glued to it that replaces the rock-hard original rubber squeegee. See pix here:

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/door-weatherstrip-priced-each/51211847798/

Edited by John_in_VA
Photo won't attach

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

3 hours ago, adawil2002 said:

Found my driver side was some crappy plastic thing with felt.

Andrew, that was the only part available from BMW for a number of years; I wasn't aware that they started providing the early style rubber squeegee again.  The plastic one actually lasts longer, but the little felt strip traps grit and can scratch the glass over time.

Thanks for the heads up.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Does anyone have the part numbers for the 2 squeegees that are attached to the backside of the metal outer weather strip, one goes against the window and the other against the vent.

Thanks for the heads up about the part number and sources for the outer strip? I don't believe that they are available in the US, but hope they might be at W&N.