• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The advertisements are a problem...

I understand the need for the advertisements in order to support the costs of the forum, however they continue to cause problems.  When you respond to a post or a PM the page will freeze up at times when the ad is loading so nothing happens when you type. The other problem that keeps happening is when you open a post and scroll down and start reading replies, suddenly the whole page moves up and you are looking at a whole different spot on the page....this seems to be from the advertisement at the top, they take awhile to load in (like the other problem I mentioned above) and when they finally do the whole page seems to reformat itself.  Can you look into these issues....I’m using an iPhone 10 if that helps at all.

Edited by Brandon

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Same here, I believe it is the aid's slowing and glitching the site.  I went back to my original search engine that has a working ad blocker and it is some better. I still have the problem of the  cursor ocasionally jumping back while typing but it's been that way for a while and I've learned  typing slower on this site seems to help but doesnt completly solve the problem. 

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)

20 hours ago, 02Les said:

I'm a member, but as of today, I see a Blunt or a Pro-Bimmer ad, when I click on someone's post.

But you probably don't see the hotel, computer, clothing, video based ads, etc ads that free members do.  Big difference.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

23 hours ago, mlytle said:

I see you are both "free" members.   If you make a donation and become a member, the advertisements go away.

Problem solved.

I pay for the sticky at the top of the parts forum with my name on it...so not really a ‘free’ member here....That aside, I don’t think the speed of the site should be any different for those with a membership vs those without it.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

57 minutes ago, mlytle said:

But you probably don't see the hotel, computer, clothing, video based ads, etc ads that free members do.  Big difference.

Understood; however, according to the Faq Membership page, I shouldn't see any. This just started yesterday.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/category/8-memberships/

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

22 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I pay for the sticky at the top of the parts forum with my name on it...so not really a ‘free’ member here....That aside, I don’t think the speed of the site should be any different for those with a membership vs those without it.

Speed of the site will be different.   It takes time and bandwidth to load all the ads, especially the videos.  This is stated in the membership benefits.....

Your profile says "solex", so site still treats you as free member.

Edited by mlytle

2xM3

• Administrators

The ads should not be showing up for people with payed memberships. If they are, I will fix that. 

Sometimes, based on some add issues the site will run a little slower with ads. 99% of functionality should be there as they are a "lazy load" last thing to show up, but the script that pulls them in will run until completed. I see all the ads, and at the moment do not see issues in functionality on my side. I will investigate and see what slows things down. 

Are you seeing issues on desktop, tablet, or mobile?

Steve K. 

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

29 minutes ago, steve k. said:

The ads should not be showing up for people with payed memberships. If they are, I will fix that. 

Sometimes, based on some add issues the site will run a little slower with ads. 99% of functionality should be there as they are a "lazy load" last thing to show up, but the script that pulls them in will run until completed. I see all the ads, and at the moment do not see issues in functionality on my side. I will investigate and see what slows things down. 

Are you seeing issues on desktop, tablet, or mobile?

Steve K. 

I’m seeing the problem on my iPhone 10, I never look at the site on a computer anymore so I don’t know if the problem is any better or worse there.  This is something that started in the last week or two, up until then it was fine.  Thanks for looking into it.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT