• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ford v Ferrari

Jim_75Sahara

First: I thoroughly enjoyed the film. Yes, I know that they took some liberties with the truth in the story line. However, the film led me to watch two more documentaries that are currently on Netflix. One is called: "24 Hour War" and the other is about Carroll Shelby and his life/career.  The Hollywood film intrigued me and it got me to research that period of time in racing, whether it involved Sebring, Daytona, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock or LeMans...it's all riveting. What an amazing time it was. The 1950s and 1960s racing was simply balls to the wall and downright deadly. The leaps and bounds in automotive technology were astounding. (of course passenger cars changed very little....) The guts it took to pilot these death machines is unbelievable.

Your thoughts??

fordvferrariIV.jpg

fordvferrariV.jpg

FordvFerrariI.jpg

fordvferrariVII.jpg

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie as well. Christian Bale's portrayal of Ken Miles deserves an award. Ken was a truly gifted engineer and racer. Also wanted to find out more about the era and what really happened.

The movie has helped me appreciate the Ford GT 40 a little more. At Pebble Beach in 2016 there were 17 Ford GT 40s for the 50 year Le Mans Anniversary. Of course, for me, this was overshadowed by BMWs 100th Celebration.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

yes, it was a very (LONG) entertaining movie.  just have to ignore all the driving scenes as they were horribly unrealistic/inaccurate.

for a great watch on what racing in various disciplines "was", check out the documentary series, "BBC: The Racing Collection".  i watched it on amazon prime a while ago.  really scary what vehicles were capable of, the lack of safety and the guts of the drivers/riders.

2xM3

If they cut out the 25 minutes of previews at the movies, we could have been home a lot sooner...

I was a couch potato during TGiving, watching more TV than I ever do.  Oceans 11, 12 and 13.  Lots of Matt Damon content.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

26 minutes ago, jgerock said:

If they cut out the 25 minutes of previews at the movies, we could have been home a lot sooner...

I was a couch potato during TGiving, watching more TV than I ever do.  Oceans 11, 12 and 13.  Lots of Matt Damon content.

Condolences on all the Matt Damon content.

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

LOL you all know this was “Hollywood” and only accurate where they wanted to be... I thought was enjoyable for what it’s worth and going with friends who are non car people could also follow along and enjoy it. [emoji6]

• Like 1

Lisa 02princess -  SF Bay Area

73 2002  - "TESORO" 2585434  <>  67 1600  - "DERBY" 1514011 <> 65 R60/2 "Gigi" Motorad w/Sidecar

02princesslisa@gmail.com     https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/143-02princesslisa-with-her-tesoro-derby/

instagram: MotoLisa.02P

Just returned from seeing the movie--having lived through that period (I was on the timing staff at Sebring in 1965--timed Hap Sharp's Chaparral for part of the race) it was very cool to see it portrayed (with Hollywood deviations) on the screen.   There was even a black Renault 4CV in one of the Le Mans street scenes, and a blue Renault Alpine in one of the racing scenes.  

Ken Miles goes way back to the early 1950s, when he built two specials; the first was MG T-series based.  The second (the Flying Shingle) used MG components with a built chassis and body; both won numerous races--the Flying Shingle was one of the fastest modifieds on the West Coast.  I have a bunch of old Road and Tracks with all sorts of writeups about the Flying Shingle

If you want to see some actual enduro racing on-screen, get a copy of Le Mans, with Steve McQueen and a cast of real race car drivers actually filmed at Le Mans.

mike

PS--I know a lot of the Le Mans scenes were actually filmed there, but there was a reference to some filming in Georgia...anyone know where?

Edited by mike
  • Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

6 hours ago, 02princessLisa said:

LOL you all know this was “Hollywood” and only accurate where they wanted to be... I thought was enjoyable for what it’s worth and going with friends who are non car people could also follow along and enjoy it. emoji6.png

exactly...they cant make this movie as pure racing / enthusiasts movie. it has to appeal to a larger audience. Just sit back, and enjoy, and don't over analyze ffs!! Do this, and this movie rocks!

Edited by arminyack
  • Like 1

Did they mention the GT40 originated as a British Lola??

As a young lad working for a structural Co, we supplied double-deck trailers for the film crew if the 1966 film Grand Prix & got to go to Brands Hatch during some filming. Got to meet (well, see) Graham Hill & James Garner. One of the film cars was a GT40 with cameras mounted all over it.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

• 3 months later...

For me the movie brought back memories, when i was a kid, my dad would take me by where the shelby operation was in LA , he was a aircraft mechanic, the first time I saw the mustang fastback, I delivered papers in a trailer park,there was a brand-new one, I walked around it for an hour. In high school the was a race I witnessed between a 427 cobra and a big block corvette they left me at about 110 mph, I was in my 56 chevy drag car, I caught  up with the 427 cobra and looked at , wow  My first real job was working in a body shop working on vetts, we took in a 65 gt 350, what a car, I come in on monday ,the owner and his friend have the motor torn down to every individual part,  I called them assholes ,looking for the magical part.  In Connecut I became friends with a guy club racing, he owned a 427sc very rare, and a 350gt r very rare, though him I meet the man, carrol at BMW vintage at lime rock,  when I moved to Boulder , a friend bought 2  Kirkam  427 cobra s that I built for him, he became a salesman for shelby in las vagus, my next project is a factor five shelby daytona, I am collecting the parts now, it will have a built 351 clevland boss and 6 speed

• 3 weeks later...