• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hans and Franz playing with their engine making robots

halboyles

Great video--much newer than when M10 blocks were produced.  These are aluminum and six cylinder--and way more automation here then there would have been in the 60s.   Those workers don't seem to be very well protected considering how hot all that metal is--especially the forklift operator when that molten aluminum is being poured into a second flask...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

It's a uniquely American approach to safety- put a $2.95 hard hat on, and some 95c safety glasses,

and maybe a $4.95 'conspicuity' vest- oh, and steel toed boots- and you're SAFE!!!

These are pretty controlled circumstances (in about the year 2000, from the parts they're making)

in a large factory.  Without US liability lawyervultures circling.  So I'd venture that the safety precautions in place

are pretty good.  And they may have been circumvented for filming, too.

t

safe is smart, not 'one size fits all'

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Shades of the old lost wax casting method. What are they using for forms here? Looks to be some type of encased sand?

In the early 1990s I worked on marketing brochures for GM's Saturn (RIP). The plant in Spring Hill, TN used styrofoam for the block forms. Cast iron cylinder sleeves were inserted into the aluminum blocks to avoid the whole Vega thing. Good times.

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

It's a uniquely American approach to safety- put a $2.95 hard hat on, and some 95c safety glasses,

and maybe a $4.95 'conspicuity' vest- oh, and steel toed boots- and you're SAFE!!!

These are pretty controlled circumstances (in about the year 2000, from the parts they're making)

in a large factory.  Without US liability lawyervultures circling.  So I'd venture that the safety precautions in place

are pretty good.  And they may have been circumvented for filming, too.

t

safe is smart, not 'one size fits all'

The "CYA" effect.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Originally it was a mixture of damp sand and clay, now days i'm sure it more ceramics and a binder of some sort, after the individual part mold is packed with "sand" it's baked into shape and placed into the master mold for casting. After it's cast and cleaned off the castings it's reground back to powder and reused over and over. Pretty much the same way you did it in 10 th grade metal shop only a bit more automated.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Yeah, but the positive has gone to a 'lost' material- the M54 engine shows clear marks

of polystyrene beads, just like the Saturn parts.

It's harder to form up the casting negative ('highly developed clay sand') but then there's

no mold shift, collapse, or need to remove the positive.  And like 3d printing, now there

are a LOT more shapes that can be made out of cast material.  

It's probably the biggest single advance in casting.

t

thinks it's pretty cool, too.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL