• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is this the original cloth interior?

mccusername

On 12/4/2019 at 8:16 PM, mccusername said:

...I think fully reclining was 'standard' on the 1600ti's?...

I really don’t know, Michael, but given that reclining seats remained an option on 2002’s and 2002tii’s, I’d guess that reclining seats were an option on 1600ti’s. Attached is the window sticker for VIN 2760233, a 1972 tii, showing the “RECLINING SEATS” option.

As we’ve discussed on this forum, the “optional” reclining seats quickly became a “mandatory option,” because Hoffman Motors ordered it on all cars, like the vinyl (Skai) upholstery, like the tinted glass.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

1D98B19F-C208-4B13-932C-2FD6B7B87D2A.jpeg

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Bumping the thread. Also looking for as close as original as possible cloth. Would anyone also know how are the pleats made in the left image of @LarsAlpina posted picture in last page?

Has anyone ordered some alternative for this material or found better match?

@LarsAlpina would you also remember which one you ordered from Germany?

Edited by 114TYP

14 minutes ago, JsnPpp said:

I love that there is a company producing this wonderful material - makes me happy looking at the swaths.

Jason

It sounds like you’re in need of a Euro-spec ‘02 with a needy interior, Jason... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

• Administrators
On 12/5/2019 at 5:46 PM, LarsAlpina said:

Concerning the "which seats came when" question, I'll have to find some quiet moment to look through some photos and documents for a senseful addition.

But concerning the Bedford cloth: It's the closest replacement I've seen so far. The ribs area tad wider, so just replacing a worn-out driver seat's bottom e.g. would be showy. But if you do a complete interior with it, it'll need a real close look to notice the difference. Left is original old and meanwhile yellowish, right is Bedford (got mine from Doepper in Germany):

2132365706_StoffgraufrhDetail1.thumb.jpg.ec778702c9393486ca946da74951c898.jpg

Best regards,

Lars.

Is this the gray material from https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/bedford-cord.php ?

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

DSCN1558sm.JPG

GM031.jpgBMW couldn't supply the centre material for my Touring back in 1986 (hence the sheepskins), so I went with Recaros. Would be nice to have the Recaro centres match the rear seats. Still have the original seats if the material becomes available.

Edited by 02Les
added pic & text
  • Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

16 hours ago, steve k. said:

@steve k. The gray cloth in Lars's picture is from Doepper in Germany.

Hirsch seems to have Bedford cloth in narrow, medium and wide wales, which might match better--

https://www.hirschauto.com/bedcloth.htm

I haven't followed up and gotten samples from any of these places. I decided to 'invest' in some period Scheels and wait and see if BMW comes out with the correct gray cloth.

Side note-- I communicated with the original owner of my Canadian Polaris '68 1600ti. He bought it from the dealer in '69 after they raced it a bit. He said it came with the black interior with gray fabric.

Michael

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mccusername said:

... Side note-- I communicated with the original owner of my Canadian Polaris '68 1600ti. He bought it from the dealer in '69 after they raced it a bit. He said it came with the black interior with gray fabric...

Confirming what we thought, Michael, but adding the important testimony of an original owner! So, an excellent data point for December 1967!

Best regards,

Steve