• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headliner installation question

ik1

Hi,

I am in the process of restoring a 1974 square lights 2002. I started with the mechanics expecting a quick repaint with minor rusty areas fixed afterwards, but it ended in a full interior and drivetrain out color change paint job.

I am now at the point of getting the final layer of paint and need to install the headliner. My car came from a previous owner with a non original sunroof that I have deleted now, and the old non-original headliner that was installed when putting the sunroof lacked many of the parts I intend to use now.

I have searched forums and other sources and have finally managed to get all the parts required and tips on installation, but I still have doubts about some of the parts involved. 

These are all the parts needed as from the parts catalogue (I post part numbers for future reference):

Original Headliner presewn p/n 51447480140 (no sunroof)

5 original Headliner Bows (a pain in the ass to find as my car didn´t have all of them)

10x Bow Grommets p/n 51447780135

6x Clips for bow liner 51441802141

4x Clamps 51441805831

2 screws to hold the headliner to the C pillar 

The only thing I do not have (I hope it is not "mandatory") is the cardboard part inside the headliner near the rear window. Instead I have insulation pads that I´m going to use to cover the roof interior before installing the headliner and hope I can be good with that instead of the cardboard (someone correct me if I am wrong!).

My problems are:

1) I have read somewhere in posts of people that mounted their headliners some years ago, that the "presewn" headliner 51447480140 needed to be re-sewn or at least given some reinforcement stitches before mounting, because it came like heat-sealed and some people reported that sometimes the heat-seals failed short after having everything mounted and that caused the headliner to hang separated from the bow, and that implied to have it redone again.

I don´t have the headliner with me now and cannot check it, but could anyone confirm the exact places where the extra sewn reinforcements need to be done?

2) I cannot figure how or where do the clips 51441802141 and the Clamps 51441805831 mount, because in the installation posts I have found there is no mention to any of them.

Could anyone help  with that?

This is a picture of the clips

Resultado de imagen de 51441802141

And this is the clamp

Resultado de imagen de 51441805831

I understand that it is possible to install the headliner without using these clips and clamps, but as I already have them I would like to use them and have it "properly installed" with all the correct parts.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by ik1

The clips in the picture are for the cardboard piece that you don’t have, so you won’t need those. Not sure about your other questions but am also interested in finding out about the need for extra stitching. I still need to install my headliner, too. I also deleted a non-factory sunroof. What a pain, but totally worth it!

Thanks Turbo and Kugelfischer for your answers. 

Just one more question Kugelfischer. I understand both pictures you posted are of the back window (right and left side). Would that mean that the 4 clips needed for the whole headlining (as the parts catalogue indicates) are intended only for the back window area (two of them for each side placed in the corners, more or less like in the second pic)?

If so, it would look like that the front windscreen area uses no clips, what do you think?

The parts catalogue pictures it as follows (clips are number 4) but it gives no further clue. 

Resultado de imagen de 51441805831 

And on the subject of stitching or reinforce the headliner, I found this post:

Altough I´m not sure those are the only problematic seams and it also does not come clear if the headliner he bought is a genuine bmw part or not (mine I´ve got it from BMW dealer and comes with genuine bmw part number stickers).

He says he got it trough Blunt, and checking Blunt site they offer different options for headliners, but when they refer to the OE bmw part, they say it is an OE part that they sew to reinforce before sending.

https://www.blunttech.com/shop/51447480140btkt 

Regards

Edited by ik1
  • Thanks 1

Front window pic of same car. I honestly cannot remember how many clips there were; I think it was 2 on the front & 4 on the back, but don't take this as gospel. The car was a '76 if that makes any difference.

DSCN3196sm.JPG.1d4df840f763dab01eb0485045e166a0.JPG

Edited by 02Les

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Hi again,

I quoted nicknames wrong, sorry for that 02Les and Gordon415.

NYNick, thanks for offering the clips for free. I really appreciate it but I am located in Spain, so I think (especially timewise) I would be better getting them locally through our office supplier or even Amazon Spain. In fact I´ve spoken to the upholstery shop that is going to re-do my seats and door cards and I might have them to do it if they are fair with the price. 

02Les, thank you for the front picture. It looks clear now. I have checked it and discovered that I had ordered 6 clips instead of 4 just to be covered in case I needed extra, so I think I will use 2 for the front window (as in your picture) and 4 in the back window to secure the upper corners.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 1