• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditching My Hubcaps, Replacing With 14” Steelies!

WPGB

3 hours ago, Conserv said:

Sorry for the hijack, WPGB! Although I’ve never considered the original wheel covers hideous, I’ve always liked the almost-Alpina-steelie appearance of the e30 steelies with center caps! Yours certainly look good.

So, SwissTii... WPGB’s rims are 4.5’s. I say that because (1.) that was the standard steel rim on all round taillight non-ti/tii’s and (2.) WPGB’s original rims don’t appear to exhibit the extra 1/2” “dish” of 5” ti/tii rims.

I’m particularly interested in your tii caliper fitment issue because I’m planning the same: widening 4.5” rims to 5.5” rims, for my tii.  First, are your tii calipers stock, e.g., you haven’t added caliper spacers to accommodate ventilated disks? Second, what offset (ET) did you choose for the new 5.5” rims?

The stock 4.5” rims are ET35 while the stock 5” rims are ET26. I was actually thinking about ET28 for the widened (5.5”) rims, but I’m very curious to understand why yours didn’t work with the tii calipers. Knowing the ET would help. I’m wondering if the solution to your fitment issue is simply to move the center disk to a better location on the barrel, in essence, correcting the ET. Because a barrel has some taper to it, reducing the ET (i.e., shifting the barrel away from the center of the car) might solve the caliper interference issue.

Below are the Wheels Database entries for the 4.5” and 5” Lemmerz rims (I wish I had the backspace for the 4.5” rim).

Thanks and best regards,

Steve

No worries about hijacking at all.  My goal with all of my videos is to conversations and info sharing on the various topics I cover.  

Looks like mission accomplished.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, AceAndrew said:

Welcome to the FAQ, best of luck with your YouTube venture, always good to see 2002 content!

Most of us here aren’t big fans of ECS and prefer to support parts businesses that have long supported the 2002 (before the bandwagon drifted by).

First of all, thanks so much for the well wishing.  Working on this channel has allowed me to take my passion for these 2002's - and air cooled 911's - to another level so I appreciate your support.

Regarding parts sources.  Good to know.

I did source the chrome lug nuts from Dave at Aardvark (sp?) racing.  I'm also having him reupholster a set of e21 Recaro's for me as we speak.

I am not a big fan of ECS myself either.  Feels impersonal and frankly their marketing annoys the hell out of me.  They're incessant with their emails, especially after you visit their website.  They have some sort of technology that tracks return visits and then triggers an email to you promoting whatever you just happened to look at.  Too invasive.

Stay tuned for more content....

Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, GC-CA said:

why not powder coat the rims in Cardinal Silver with chrome lugs and center caps...no drips, no runs, no errors

Good question.  This process was suggested to me by an 02 buddy so I gave it a shot.  Powder coating would have surely been more durable but at the same time I am mostly focused on getting the BBS's on the car....so this is basically a temporary solution.

So, really, I just didn't look into that idea.  Perhaps I should have but I'm gonna let it ride for now.

Curious as to why you choose 185/65-14 tires over the common tire size of 195/60-14  tire size that is normally run on 14" E30 wheels on an 02?   What fitment issues are you having with your 15X7 ET 25 BBS wheels on your 02, what tire size did you have on your 15" BBS wheels? 

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

3 hours ago, Gordon said:

Curious as to why you choose 185/65-14 tires over the common tire size of 195/60-14  tire size that is normally run on 14" E30 wheels on an 02?   What fitment issues are you having with your 15X7 ET 25 BBS wheels on your 02, what tire size did you have on your 15" BBS wheels? 

I wanted to make sure I didn’t have rubbing issues so I went the safe route with the tire size.

There’s an issue with the body that’s been causing rubbing issues.  I’m going to do a full video on it in the near future.