• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

closer euro bumpers

Loue02

I have a '73 2002 tii with the long style bumpers.  I want to get rid of the US mandated extended bumper to match the closer fitting Euro bumper.  For the rear bumper, it looks like two #51125470060  Euro rear bumper mounting spring clips will snug the bumper.  For the front bumper, the Real OEM diagram is not clear to me.  I need  #51111815493 left front Euro bumper mounting bar and #51111815494 right front Euro bumper mounting bar, but there is also a base.  Do I also need this base to snug the bumper to the frame, or any other parts to consider?  Thank you for helping on my winter project.         

I believe that you probably have to drill new holes in the body of the car (front and back) for attaching the bumpers to the body in the new location.  That's a biggie if you ask me.

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

22 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I believe that you probably have to drill new holes in the body of the car (front and back) for attaching the bumpers to the body in the new location. 

I know you don't have to redrill the rear sheet metal to use a Euro rear bumper bracket on a '73; the US style loop bracket uses the same holes as the Euro (also used on 72 and earlier US cars).  (I have a '73)

In front, check the frame rail behind the front wheel to see if there are two keyhole-shaped slots in the rail.  If so (and I think they're there) they are where the Euro front bumper brackets (also used on pre-73 US cars) attach--with carriage bolts that slip into those keyholes.  Check archives for how-to's.

mike

PS--I'd think twice before doing this--those rear brackets (and some reinforcing steel plates) saved my '73 from much more serious damage when I was "lightly" rear-ended a couple of years ago.  And the reinforced front brackets will (help) protect those expensive grilles.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I was mainly talking about where the bumper side pieces attach to the fenders on each side (front and rear).  Since the center is pushed in closer, don't the side pieces get pushed in also.  I've never considered doing this, so don't know for sure.

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

45 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I believe that you probably have to drill new holes in the body of the car (front and back) for attaching the bumpers to the body in the new location.  That's a biggie if you ask me.

^^^

This, you will have to drill holes (4) to attach the bumper ends (front and rear) and this will leave the original holes behind the now pulled in bumper ends if you don't do metal work.

IMG_8448.jpg

• Like 1

72 02

73 02 tii

On 12/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, mike said:

...PS--I'd think twice before doing this--those rear brackets (and some reinforcing steel plates) saved my '73 from much more serious damage when I was "lightly" rear-ended a couple of years ago.  And the reinforced front brackets will (help) protect those expensive grilles...

Based on the number of ‘02’s with no bumpers whatsoever, Mike, I have come to the conclusion that bumper-less 45-year-old cars are (1.) never parallel parked, and (2.) not regularly used in urban or suburban settings, i.e., not driven from stoplight to stoplight. They go to cars and coffee events, car shows, and carve a few canyons: all “bumpers optional” events... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I am going Euro on the restoration of my 73 tii.  The bumper brackets are the same as 72 and earlier.  I have W&N replacement front fenders as the bottom front ends were deranged in earlier incidents with PO.  I realize that these fenders will give me some fit fits, but Chris told me that all replacement fenders have fit issues.  So, I will only have to re-locate and patch on the rear anchor points and create new on the front.

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I was mainly talking about where the bumper side pieces attach to the fenders on each side

I'm pretty sure the front side attaching holes are in the same location, but I'm not sure about the rear.  Regardless, always fasten those bolts loosely, so a light tap on the bumper will cause the bolt to pop out of its slot on the bumper blade without bending the blade.  Learned this from experience!

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

17 hours ago, Conserv said:

45-year-old cars are (1.) never parallel parked, and (2.) not regularly used in urban or suburban settings, i.e., not driven from stoplight to stoplight.

Steve, I agree with you on (1) above--I avoid parallel parking even in my pickup truck, as its bumpers aren't that sturdy (but then neither are anyone else's, these days).  However, #2 above doesn't apply to a surprising number of folks on the FAQ who drive their 2002s on a regular basis--even in high traffic cities like LA, SF, Atlanta etc.  Even Dayton ?.

mike

• Like 1