• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii Taiga Automatic in Laguna Beach CA?

Einspritz

A friend sent me this pic seen Monday in downtown Laguna Beach.

Since he was a previous owner of a Tii, thought it unusual 1)Taiga, 2)Sunroof, and 3) Automatic.

Didn't get the VIN.

Anyone on this FAQ?

Did the Tii come in an automatic from the factory?

Would love to find a matching numbers Taiga Tii with a sunroof to replace my tribute.

897006281_IMG_5074(Small).JPG.54370e834db90b678dd95ff95dfc59d7.JPG

• Like 3

Ted,

No automatic tii’s from the factory.

Maybe 10 years back, a forum member was building an automatic Taiga tii for his daughter. Maybe this is that car. Or maybe automatic Taiga tii’s became a thing! ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

And Taiga is an unusual color for a roundie...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I have a '72 Taiga w/ sunroof, converted to Tii for CA smog purposes.

Sadly in retrospect cut up the white Tii w/ sunroof  rust free (really!) donor after "salvaging" the parts. Little did I know of the value, they were just old cars back then.

That Taiga car, was rear ended and now sits waiting for repairs (or not), and was deemed Salvage title.

So, it would be more convenient to find a similar minimally rusted project. Mechanicals I have......

Might settle for Ceylon or Turkis.....

• Like 1

Ted,

No automatic tii’s from the factory.

Maybe 10 years back, a forum member was building an automatic Taiga tii for his daughter. Maybe this is that car. Or maybe automatic Taiga tii’s became a thing! [emoji6]

Best regards,

Steve

Exactly. That's the car. I remember it well as I was chasing a '73 Taiga tii myself at the time and thought that was a bit sacrilegious ( as did some others). Looks like it's still wearing the Panasport knockoffs by Rota which were very popular at the time as Chris had put together a group buy for those rims. Incidentally I purchased a set for a Polaris silver tii that I owned at the time.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

There's been a long time story of one automatic Tii built by BMW for a ex racer associated with the factory that lost the use of his left foot in a crash. Don't know how true it is though.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

If i recall he built it for his daughter and she wanted a new 3 series instead.  Seen it in person.  Very well done.  

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

23 hours ago, Gordon said:

If I recall correctly, years ago, Mo who lived in south OC (Laguna Beach area) converted a tii to an automatic for his teenager daughter instead of the alternative, teach your kids to drive a car with a manual gearbox.   I'm guessing his kids are out of the house by now so it sounds like his converted tii is still around south OC.  If I had it, it would be back to three pedals.

G-Man

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 2

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner