• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price check 1972 1602

Skeeters

3 hours ago, Schnellvintage said:

I would be willing to help you look at it and evaluate the value if you like.  I am pretty local to Tehachapi. (in Castaic)

Cheers,

Matt

I'd be great full for the help. Tank of gas and a lunch? Pocket change? How do I contact you? Weather will be a factor. Dan

8 hours ago, saoirse said:

The dash is post 71 refresh though. I have early 71, it has a 3 piece dash. This one here doesn't.

Although I agree, the early VIN indicates pre 71 model. Probably somebody has already been there for some works before. 

Also make sure to check under the spare tire for rust holes. I'd say spare tire well is good indicator of the condition of the sheet metal overall. Or at least first place I'd look on these 02-s. Water tends to collect there and rust through.

Also:

* Rockers seem to have a rusted the metal through from the bottom. (kinda wavy on the photos)

* Front and rear windshields are missing chrome locking strips

* A small hole/spot in the drivers side door (bottom left)

* What I see here is that someone has most likely abused this at some point of its life - the added front piece down metal for looks, the steering wheel, the carb etc. But you shouldn't be bothered with mechanical aspect of the car, this is still relatively cheap to fix and maintain. Bodywork is the big killer on these. If the body is really really solid, I'd say it's easily worth the asking price. 

I pulled the spare out. There is no rust whatsoever.

16 hours ago, ray_ said:

Do you weld? :)

You'll need to look more closely at the rockers and shock towers and other sheet metal. 

That said, it doesn't look all that bad based on the very limited pics.

The motor temp sender is disconnected....

Read here 

Cheers,

Thanks for those tips.

BMW 1602 044.jpg

BMW 1602 046.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skeeters said:

Thanks for all the information. Like I said, BMW's' are virgin territory for me.Here are a couple of more snaps.

Definitely a pre "modell 71" car--has "silver dollar" instruments, except for the tach.  1600's didn't come with tachs; they had a clock, thus the knob in the middle of the tach's glass.  Someone has replaced the clock with a tach from a 72/73 2002, not an uncommon swap.  The short console and three piece dash are also giveaways that it's not a modell 71 car.  The 1600 production run for US spec '71s was short; VINs run from 1571876 to 1573162.  That's model year production, that begins on 1 Sept.  So chances are good your car was actually assembled in calendar year 1970, but is a model year '71.  

Others can be more specific, but I think the orange diagnostic plugs were added to US cars sometime during the 1970 model year; I know the '69s didn't have 'em, but not sure if it was during 1970 or at the beginning of 1971 production.  Interesting that it has a blue interior with a red (Granada) exterior, which by the pictured sticker appears to be original.  Most Granada cars I've seen have black interiors.  Rear wheel arches appear to be pristine--a Good Thing.  I would carefully look at the underside.  Many years sitting on dirt can cause unusually heavy rust on the car's underside, even in a dry climate.  The alloy wheels are definitely factory, but probably didn't come on the car.  They weren't generally available in the US until the 1972 model year, when they were offered as (usually dealer-installed) options, especially on tii's.  They're quite desirable, though.

And Mark Donahue was a very well known American race driver from the 1970s; drove Trans Am races, won the Indy 500 in 1972, drove at Le Mans (Ford GT40), Daytona 24 hrs and Sebring (Ferrari), where I saw him race in 1965.  He also drove the the Can-Am series, Formula 1 and even NASCAR.  Quite the talented guy, and a nice one to boot (I met him in 1972).  So that steering wheel is well worth cleaning up and keeping.  Very period for your car, as Mark was at the height of his career in 1971.

Hope the car works out for you.  Did you get a look at the engine number yet?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, saoirse said:

I have euro spec early 71. VIN 2675158 not starting with 1xxx

Yes, for whatever reason, the 2xxxxxx series, at least for U.S, models, seems to have begun in January 1971 even though Modell 71’s didn’t really appear until April-ish 1971.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

44 minutes ago, mike said:

Definitely a pre "modell 71" car--has "silver dollar" instruments, except for the tach.  1600's didn't come with tachs; they had a clock, thus the knob in the middle of the tach's glass.  Someone has replaced the clock with a tach from a 72/73 2002, not an uncommon swap.  The short console and three piece dash are also giveaways that it's not a modell 71 car.  The 1600 production run for US spec '71s was short; VINs run from 1571876 to 1573162.  That's model year production, that begins on 1 Sept.  So chances are good your car was actually assembled in calendar year 1970, but is a model year '71.  

Others can be more specific, but I think the orange diagnostic plugs were added to US cars sometime during the 1970 model year; I know the '69s didn't have 'em, but not sure if it was during 1970 or at the beginning of 1971 production.  Interesting that it has a blue interior with a red (Granada) exterior, which by the pictured sticker appears to be original.  Most Granada cars I've seen have black interiors.  Rear wheel arches appear to be pristine--a Good Thing.  I would carefully look at the underside.  Many years sitting on dirt can cause unusually heavy rust on the car's underside, even in a dry climate.  The alloy wheels are definitely factory, but probably didn't come on the car.  They weren't generally available in the US until the 1972 model year, when they were offered as (usually dealer-installed) options, especially on tii's.  They're quite desirable, though.

And Mark Donahue was a very well known American race driver from the 1970s; drove Trans Am races, won the Indy 500 in 1972, drove at Le Mans (Ford GT40), Daytona 24 hrs and Sebring (Ferrari), where I saw him race in 1965.  He also drove the the Can-Am series, Formula 1 and even NASCAR.  Quite the talented guy, and a nice one to boot (I met him in 1972).  So that steering wheel is well worth cleaning up and keeping.  Very period for your car, as Mark was at the height of his career in 1971.

Hope the car works out for you.  Did you get a look at the engine number yet?

mike

"Many years sitting on dirt can cause unusually heavy rust on the car's underside, even in a dry climate." The owner states that the 2006 has been in storage for many years. Both the BMW and the Alpha Romero had been in an aircraft hanger. Recently the county figured out  that the cars seemed to lack the ability to fly. Where would the engine number be?

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

FWIW, my info suggests it was a very late Nov '70 or early Dec '70 manufacture.

Thanks, Les!

Skeeters,

How about sending an email with the car’s VIN to BMW Group Archives, requesting their data on the car?  The email address is info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com.

Publish their response email here and enter the car in the forum’s Registry, with a copy of the Archives response and some photos?

Thanks and regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1 hour ago, Skeeters said:

....Where would the engine number be?

Left side of the engine block, at the rearmost edge of the block (butting up against the bellhousing), just above the nose of the starter, where the starter gear meets the flywheel, there is flat machined boss.  The engine number, 7 digits, is stamped into this boss, bracketed by a pair of “+” signs.

Regards,

Steve

CB0E5CDF-9F11-4AB0-A6D2-4AE9090776EB.jpeg