• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pros and Cons of a Hater Pipe

Benjamin A.R.

I'm as puzzled as the gent in the photo.  I've never heard of "Hater pipe" or seen one on a street car - perhaps the racers will comment.  If you plan to run it I hope you don't move in near me!

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

whut?  Stick an exhaust pipe up out of the hood????

Dood... just.... no.  

I know it's the Amerikun's gawd- given right to be dum.  But even dum has to have its limits.

Unless you own a tractor.

then you're ok.

heh

t

tongue only partly in cheek

766.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I m thinking you mean a straight pipe exhaust? As in: people who complain on the noise or disagree with its effectiveness are just "haters"? Along with running no hood or putting lots of stickers on the windshield or going to extremes for stance... it is a fad for fashion only. Many hot rods are guilty of similar rediculous mods. If you only like cars for what they look like then have at it. I enjoy cars for what they DO would go a different direction.

To each his own. Your car. You're free to cut it up any way you like, but I prefer to have a more measured approach, since my own tastes and budgets have changed over time as well.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When and where I was in my youthful motorhead phase — the 1970’s in southeast Pennsylvania — an open exhaust exiting through one’s hood was sufficiently illegal and obvious that most cops would have noticed it and cited the owner. So my father would have said, “That sounds like a stupid idea.” and he would have been right.

Have we advanced (degraded?) sufficiently far that one can actually drive a car with an open exhaust exiting through one’s hood and not be cited? I honestly don’t know the answer to that question. My nine years in Georgia, a no-inspection state, showed me that you could, apparently, drive a car, at least occasionally, without doors or a hood. Will cops simply ignore an open exhaust exiting through the hood at this point?

Don’t get me wrong: I believe an exhaust exiting in front of a street car’s windshield is a terrible and un-safe practice. But I’m curious how long one could carry out this practice... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 minutes ago, Conserv said:

But I’m curious how long one could carry out this practice...

Until the windshield turns black!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 minute ago, jimk said:

Until the windshield turns black!

I suppose that’s why cars have windshield washers. So as long as you’re wearing your carbon monoxide detector necklace, you should be OK.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)