• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

column switches 73 Tii

Mike A

I bought these column switches in the first 3 photos as being represented for a 73. Looking for expert advice that always seems to be available here. Are they in fact from a from 73?  or would they be interchangeable,  as I don't see any provision for the washer?

The next 4 photos are switches that presumably came from a 73 and you can see the differences in casting numbers

column switch 1.jpg

column switch 2MG_1562.jpg

column switch 3.jpg

995FE24A-FE18-4458-8760-6B711391DCE8.thumb.jpeg.0081cdc0334361f41ab8aa874535e3ef.jpg

8239F3F9-7A20-4DA1-9982-E23016254D18.thumb.jpeg.fff933189c87f69862c2584a7b482fc3.jpg

AC86E989-824E-4674-85D2-F0412B2E4087.thumb.jpeg.eaba2c3a5ee2d6058e710c376de43359.jpg

F8593128-6930-4E15-9649-EB67D9BB943B.thumb.jpeg.cacc461e03653ab1585eabc79eaeafd4.jpg

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

From your pictures they look like the correct ones.  '72 and '73 (at least US spec) cars--both carbureted and tii--used the same column stalks.  The left side one has a two position up-down (low & high beams); pull towards you for high beam flash.  They're identical to the ones used on earlier cars except for the knob, and that the later ones have multi-prong plugs per your illustrations.  Earlier ones had individual wires that plugged into separate terminals on the back of the stalk base.  

The right side stalk has several functions:  up and down are your turn signals (and with the ignition off, right and left on-street parking lights).  The little copper finger at the base of the housing confirms that's a turn signal.  Push the knob on the end towards the column base and that turns the wipers on and off; wiper speed is controlled by the lower left dashboard knob.  Pull the lever towards you and that engages the wash/wipe feature.  

'74-76 cars moved the turn signals to the left stalk, so those two stalks are completely different, and earlier cars didn't have the wiper on/off switch on the right side stalk, so they're different too.

So...it looks like you have the correct ones.  Good score.  They're very expensive new, so it's a good idea to have a spare, especially for the turn signal/wiper/wash-wipe switch.  They break/wear out--but can usually be repaired.

mike

Edited by mike
  • Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

26 minutes ago, mike said:

'74-76 cars moved the turn signals to the left stalk

Some people just couldn't deal with the turn signal lever on the right, so the government dictate a change to suit the dumb ones.

Way back the high/low beam headlight switch was on the floorboard to the left of the clutch pedal.  When the function was moved to the steering column there were lots of accidents where drivers got their left foot tangled in the steering wheel! :lol:  

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

53 minutes ago, jimk said:

Some people just couldn't deal with the turn signal lever on the right, so the government dictate a change to suit the dumb ones.

Way back the high/low beam headlight switch was on the floorboard to the left of the clutch pedal.  When the function was moved to the steering column there were lots of accidents where drivers got their left foot tangled in the steering wheel! :lol:  

I heard the UK is going to phase in driving on the right, first applying it to buses and taxis.

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

6 hours ago, mike said:

From your pictures they look like the correct ones.  '72 and '73 (at least US spec) cars--both carbureted and tii--used the same column stalks.  The left side one has a two position up-down (low & high beams); pull towards you for high beam flash.  They're identical to the ones used on earlier cars except for the knob, and that the later ones have multi-prong plugs per your illustrations.  Earlier ones had individual wires that plugged into separate terminals on the back of the stalk base.  

The right side stalk has several functions:  up and down are your turn signals (and with the ignition off, right and left on-street parking lights).  The little copper finger at the base of the housing confirms that's a turn signal.  Push the knob on the end towards the column base and that turns the wipers on and off; wiper speed is controlled by the lower left dashboard knob.  Pull the lever towards you and that engages the wash/wipe feature.  

'74-76 cars moved the turn signals to the left stalk, so those two stalks are completely different, and earlier cars didn't have the wiper on/off switch on the right side stalk, so they're different too.

So...it looks like you have the correct ones.  Good score.  They're very expensive new, so it's a good idea to have a spare, especially for the turn signal/wiper/wash-wipe switch.  They break/wear out--but can usually be repaired.

mike

...so the right side switch in the first photo has the wash control , it just doesn't have the wash arrow as that of the 6th photo...Thanks Mike, appreciate the help.. 

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

On 1/4/2020 at 11:39 AM, jimk said:

Actually, car manufacturers worldwide standardized certain column-mounted controls, beginning with the 1974 model year, and one of the standardizations was to move the turn signal lever to the left side--primarily due to the prevalence of column-mounted shift levers, both manual and automatic, that were on the right side.  

22 hours ago, Mike A said:

...so the right side switch in the first photo has the wash control , it just doesn't have the wash arrow as that of the 6th photo...

Correct.  My '73 doesn't have the wash/wipe marking on the knob either, but it's there...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite