• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metallic paint question

H E L P

So my Verona red 72 is getting ready to be painted and the paint shop is suggesting that I let them paint Metallic Verona red? I told them im not sure if I want metal flakes in my red paint (that's what I understand when someone says Metallic). I understand the car originally came with single stage etc. and I read so many articles here on different paint type opinions but my question is does anyone here ever have their dark color 2002 painted with a metallic paint job?

I'm just not sure about this atall. Don't have a good feeling as I do not like too shiny stuff, specially things that were not so shiny to begin with.

Please kindly share a close up picture where metal flakes can be seen in the picture perhaps? Thanks in advance.

Since Verona was never a metallic color, a metallic version of Verona is going to move your car away from having a period-correct ‘02 color. And if the car was a factory Verona car, it will also move the car away from having its factory color, factory color often enhancing a car’s value.

This decision is your perogative, as it’s your car. But if the car is largely original and your vision of the car is of a largely original car, I believe painting the car a custom, metallic version of Verona would be a bad idea.

You asked for opinions. That’s mine!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 5

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Agree, leave verona as it was unless you are shooting for something entirely different. Interesting that the paint shop would recommend it IMO.

~Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

The problem is...The paint shop wants to to two stage, with clear

Or... Barney, they’re just dying to do their first Candy Apple ‘02! ?

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

So my Verona red 72 is getting ready to be painted and the paint shop is suggesting that I let them paint Metallic Verona red? I told them im not sure if I want metal flakes in my red paint (that's what I understand when someone says Metallic). I understand the car originally came with single stage etc. and I read so many articles here on different paint type opinions but my question is does anyone here ever have their dark color 2002 painted with a metallic paint job?

I'm just not sure about this atall. Don't have a good feeling as I do not like too shiny stuff, specially things that were not so shiny to begin with.

Please kindly share a close up picture where metal flakes can be seen in the picture perhaps? Thanks in advance.

You don't seem to know what you want your car to look like, and that you have never seen metallic paint before. If you haven't already, perhaps you should just give them your credit card and let them have their way with it. Another option - whether it's metallic or not, if you don't like too shiny stuff, have it wrapped in matte vinyl.

Edited by golf73

Geez what's next with this shop?Chop and channel? Tuck and roll red upholstery? Whitewall Tires? Think they have been watching too many reruns of Pimp My Ride.

Its a 1972 BMW 2002 in Verona Red,

not a Ford Model T Roadster. It would be a shame to do that to a Verona Red 02

Must be more profit for them in some blingy paint job.  

Resist! Better yet, find a new paint shop.

There is only one red metallic paint for 02s but was only meant for a select few.

Granatrot Metallic BMW paint code 025.

It haunts my dreams

image.jpeg.12a564837d0e56b60b9d55e6838f7809.jpeg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Geez what's next with this shop?Chop and channel? Tuck and roll red upholstery? Whitewall Tires? Think they have been watching too many reruns of Pimp My Ride.

Its a 1972 BMW 2002 in Verona Red,

not a Ford Model T Roadster. It would be a shame to do that to a Verona Red 02

Must be more profit for them in some blingy paint job.  

Resist! Better yet, find a new paint shop.

There is only one red metallic paint for 02s but was only meant for a select few.

Granatrot Metallic BMW paint code 025.

It haunts my dreams

image.jpeg.12a564837d0e56b60b9d55e6838f7809.jpeg

Introduced in September 1973, with the introduction of the square taillight cars. That’s a particularly nice Euro version!

It’s yet another ‘02 color that I hated in the ‘70’s, but admire today!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

And... it was only introduced in September 1973, with the introduction of the square taillight cars. That’s a particularly nice Euro version!

It’s yet another ‘02 color that I hated in the ‘70’s, but admire today!

Regards,

Steve

Steve, I am the same. I've changed my opinion on several colors over the years - Granatrot being one of them.

I also always liked the phrase "A clean car is always in style".

Jason

• Like 2

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Thinking of changing color on my 72 chamonix, less of a foul?

Lots of opinions on changing the original color on a car. Do what you like - its your car. If you do it, make sure its thorough! 

I personally prefer leaving the car as it was built. IMO a clean, fresh chamonix is a nice color, as is sahara (another common color to swap out of it seems)! They may at first glance appear plain jane but can really be stunning. And period correct too. win and win.

Depends on your goals though, if you are planning to sell it any time soon, my gut is to repaint with original and make sure all the shiny bits are new or at least clean. 

~Jason