• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metallic paint question

H E L P

Lots of opinions on changing the original color on a car. Do what you like - its your car. If you do it, make sure its thorough! 

I personally prefer leaving the car as it was built. IMO a clean, fresh chamonix is a nice color, as is sahara (another common color to swap out of it seems)! They may at first glance appear plain jane but can really be stunning. And period correct too. win and win.

Depends on your goals though, if you are planning to sell it any time soon, my gut is to repaint with original and make sure all the shiny bits are new or at least clean. 

~Jason

Yeah, probably stay with chamonix but there are a few other original colors I really like.

• Like 1

72 02

73 02 tii

The problem is...The paint shop wants to to two stage, with clear

...that's generally considered a solution, not a problem!

A solid color with a clear coat is just fine- it's more durable,. is easier to apply,

and will generally look at least as good, if not better, especially if there's some 

pigment in the clear.  I've shot both.  Well- done, the only way to tell is with sandpaper.

Metallics are... well, what they are.  A nice, fine- grained silver is hard to beat,

IF it's put on really well.  Howevery, Steve's Candy Apple Red with flakes

as big as my banana seat had in it in 1974 is, well, tacky as hell.

But, you know, tigers have tiger stripes....

t

not a Metallica fan,

but also not

a sucker for original colors-

paint it the color YOU want.

candyapplered.jpg

candy-apple-red-metallic-flake-paint-7.jpg

candy41nj0j2OgGL._AC_SX355_.jpg

candyimages.jpg

candycol-i-30lcca-1333-1-2.jpg

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL