• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/lafayette-1974-bmw-20

goodkarmech

Price: $16500

Description:

Not mine, no affiliation,

Clean car second owner selling

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/lafayette-1974-bmw-2002-sunroof-4-spd/7042732348.html

Well, after 34 years I'm putting my l974 Malaga (Maroon) BMW 2002 with factory sunroof, Behr AC (in-op but updateable) with 4-speed manual, and Recaro seats up for sale. I am the second owner. I bought it in 1986 from a persnickety engineer in Sausalito. It has always been garaged and well maintained. If you want a vintage car that looks like a classic but drives more like a new car then come and have a look. I have a phonebook size binder of repairs and service receipts. The engine was rebuilt and balanced 20 years ago by the legendary Dave Cruise who was the pre-eminent machinist of his era. A factory Tii clutch was added at that time as was a new-in-the-box limited-slip differential. The car is pushing 50 years old and is not perfect but the design remains crisp and the condition is very nice. I think these cars are on the precipice of doubling in value as the 912 Porsches have done in the past ten years. However, I'm 70+ and don't really have the time to wait and I don't want my (not motor car minded) family giving it away when I'm gone. I am alone in my sensibilities. The year "1974" is just about the newest car that is smog exempt in the state of California. I can't think of another car with better visibility than this cockpit. I'm most available for viewings on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, or Monday.
Thanks for Your Time on This,
Gary 415 570-3499

Edited by goodkarmech

Looking through the pics (link is still up), this seems like a reasonably market correct price to me--$16,500.  Below $10K would have been a price from several years ago for a car that is solid (not show car, but very good driver condition) cosmetically inside and outside, as well as mechanically sorted like this one appears to be.  I'm assuming there is no major undisclosed rust of course. If this was a roundie in the same condition, I'd say closer to $20K.  It this were being sold in the spring on BringATrailer, it should easily have brought his asking price.

• Like 1

Price might be a tad on the high side, but $8-9K is several years behind the market for these when they aren't projects in some way.  I can understand not selling for that period at $20K, but at $16.5K I'd expect the seller to take $15K cash without hesitation with it being on the market that long.  So, my hunch is that there are some undisclosed issues that aren't being mentioned in the description and hidden in pictures.

• Like 1

Ah, sounds like then that the seller was adamant that he get his asking price and finally compromised to the market value.  Plus, if he has been trying to sell for 3 years, the market value did come up in that time (ignoring that he would have got a better return selling years ago at a lower price and putting the proceeds into the stock market).

I had checked the car out about 3 years ago, met with Gary and most of what's been said holds true.

I had inspection done on the car, found about $2-3K worth of work that needed to be done and we did not come to terms but kept in touch.

He's a good guy - an enthusiast without being much of a gearhead, I suspect he will miss the car.

New owner has got a pretty decent car to work with.

2002@tour.jpg

• Like 1

I had checked the car out about 3 years ago, met with Gary and most of what's been said holds true.

I had inspection done on the car, found about $2-3K worth of work that needed to be done and we did not come to terms but kept in touch.

He's a good guy - an enthusiast without being much of a gearhead, I suspect he will miss the car.

New owner has got a pretty decent car to work with.

2002@tour.jpg

That's a really clean looking Sahara square light car.  Well done on finding what you were looking for!

Edited by AlfaBMWGuy