• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring help

Mike A

Under the dash in my 73 turd it was a real mess but I'm getting close to the end.  For those of you with more time under the dash perhaps you can help with 2 questions. I am using the wiring diagram for a 73 shown in the photo. 

1. Out of the directional switch on the column I have 9 leads, 8 into the connector and one female solid gray that does not have a mate shown in the first photo. The 73 schematic only shows 8 leads into the connector  but it does shows an open terminal labeled P. The switch may not be from a 73 as it was purchased used. Can anyone tell me what it's for and where to look?

2. There is what looks to be a purple / white lead tucked up in the drivers side corner that was snipped. It appears to lead aft although I can't be certain. The schematic is of no help. But please understand that I can only read half of the Isihara Test for color blindness and I could be a little off on the color (not that far off).

Note that all the lighting is functional ...directional,reverse,brake,headlamps,hazard. Still working on the horn. 

Thanks for any guidance, Mike

elec 1.jpg

elec schematic.jpg

elec unknown.jpg

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

US spec 72 and 73 cars have a Euro feature that uses the turn signal lever to illuminate the front and rear lights (parking and tail) on one side of the car by selecting with the turn signal lever with the ignition off.  Try on your car and see if this works; if it doesn't, that orphan wire may be part of that system's wiring.  

And remember, on those cars the turn signal lever, when pushed in turns on the wipers, and when pulled towards you activates the wash/wipe feature, so make sure those both work also.

According to my wiring diagram, here are the wires and where they go:

terminal # @ plug           wire color                          destination

1                                    purple/black               terminal 15, hazard flasher switch

2                                    brown/black               terminal 85, windshield wiper relay

3                                    grey/black                  fuse #1

4                                    blue/red                     terminal L hazard flasher switch

5                                    red/white                   terminal 15 hazard flasher switch

6                                    grey/green                fuse #2

7                                    blue/black                 terminal R hazard flasher switch

8                                    black                         terminal F windshield wiper relay

9                                    green/yellow             terminal 49U hazard flasher switch

Hope that helps.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

US spec 72 and 73 cars have a Euro feature that uses the turn signal lever to illuminate the front and rear lights (parking and tail) on one side of the car by selecting with the turn signal lever with the ignition off.  Try on your car and see if this works; if it doesn't, that orphan wire may be part of that system's wiring. 

Ahha!…that P on the schematic may mean Parking , eh? And that would mean the lights would stay illuminated when the directional was up or down ….and the battery would discharge continuously ….leading to a dead battery.....which is why it may have been made inoperative. There is something way back deep in the grey matter that reminds me I may have run into that with my then brand new 72. Will be interesting to find out, will keep you posted. Thank you 

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

Ok...…….

Grey wire to terminal P on the ignition switch.

The only Violet-White wire I can find goes to the Reverse light switch from Fuse #6. From the Rev Light Switch the wire is Black-White to the rear rev lights.

This is for '73 & up cars.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17