• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Neil Peart

jscaptura1

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/146585-classic-car-classic-rock-whats-your-driver-song/?do=findComment&comment=1141650

Just heard the sad news that Neil Peart passed away today from brain cancer. I think he (and Rush) were mentioned several times in the above thread.  I have great memories of blasting around the original 6.6 mile road course in Watkins Glen in the 1600 with Red Barchetta playing as loud as it would go.  If you have ever had the pleasure of driving around the course, it was almost if the song was written for it.  I would try to time it so that I reached the old stone bridge on the course when the song hit the point of the one lane bridge.   Bummer of a day.  RIP Neil and godspeed!

20190906_150325.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

Just listened through red barchetta, incredible song, incredible band - sad day indeed. 

Jason

And I defy anyone to listen to Tom Sawyer without flooring it.  This song came on the radio while driving the Tomato in the last 5 miles before hitting Eureka Springs for midAmerica in '14. Arkansas hill country is not something to miss..

---> A good interview from 2012 if you are interested. Quality human - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_mKr28G7og

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 5

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

I was saddened to see the news yesterday that he had passed away. Truly one of the greatest drummers of all time. I was fortunate enough to see Rush a few times in concert, and if you have never seen a Neil Peart drum solo, you should google and find a video of him. 

Not only a great drummer, but an author and great human being. He will be missed. 

I believe he died of the same brain cancer that took the life of another Canadian rock icon, legend and outstanding person, Gord Downie of the Tragically Hip, about two and a half years ago. 

RIP Neil, you will be missed by many!

Don

73 - '02

88 - M3

88 - iX

For those of you too young or too old to know of Neil Peart, beyond drumming he loved cars and bikes and was particularly fond of BMWs, and toured remote places of the world on his bike logging hundreds of thousands of miles. Here are some good reads.

https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/bmwon-03.2014.php 

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2012/02/23/rush-drummers-models

RIP Neil

• Like 4

I am a big fan of Rush and especially Neil. He was an an amazing author and did a few instructional drumming videos. He was honorable, admirable and humble. Makes me sad that he's passed away yet glad he left an amazing body of work for us to enjoy.

"We are only immortal, for a limited time" - Dreamline

• Like 3

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Indeed. It’s time to dig out my well-worn vinyl recording of 2112 = superb. -KB

My son's have finally caught on the the concept of vinyl, album art, stylus etc.

My youngest son bought me a turntable this Christmas! 

Still brings a tears to my eyes. Been listening to 2112 almost a half dozen times since yesterday. 

Neal's words, and fantastic rolls

Alex's and Geddy's unbelievable mastery of their Guitar and Bass. 

Discovery... still moves me after all these years....

What can this strange device be?
When I touch it, it gives forth a sound
It's got wires that vibrate and give music
What can this thing be that I found?

See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently like rain

My favorite quiz: 

Why are there only three musicians in Rush? 

A. They could not find anyone good enough to join them. 

B. They are so good no one else would audition. 

C. They don't need anyone else

D. All of the above

Sad times.... But this music still makes me happy. 

Thank you Neal and God Bless you. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1
  • Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me.