• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Bottlecap, or not to Bottlecap, that is the question....

tdskip

@tdskip That’s cool, I’m sure that the FAQ community will always be there to help you find your visual identity. For me, I know what I like when it comes to style/aesthetics and couldn’t give a rat’s ass about what anyone else thinks. Nobody else’s reporting of what THEY like has any bearing on what I like. Now, when it comes to objective matters of functionality, performance, etc, that’s a different story: The more input the better.

Edited by COOP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike_R said:

I say it is a matter of taste. Some think they are always right in disrespecting others opinions. I like mine just fine.  I do have a new set of General Altamax tires with a lower aspect ratio to give the same relative size as stock no problems with the speedometer.

DSCN12723.jpg

Mike, that looks freakin fantastic. What size tires are you running?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Robert Kyle said:

They're OK, but they look too much like Mercedes Bundt wheels to me.

I prefer stock 13x6 steelies:

BMW-2002-cars-3-750x415.jpg

Wait, Robert!  The stock ‘02 styled steel rims for square taillight cars are 13 x 5”. The e21 versions of the same design — which I suspect are the rims in the photo — are 13 x 5 1/2”. A 13 x 6” version may look very cool, but it’s going to be a custom build or modification. I believe I’ve seen them in a 7” width, on this forum. And they were, indeed, very cool.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, tdskip said:

Thanks for all the . I’ve got bigger fish to fry right now, so with the benefit of this discussion I’m going to just leave these wheels alone for now and focus on the mechanical stuff. 

I’ll make sure to keep my next question less controversial, so I’ll be asking about what oil is best, best tires, best color, and why my friend thinks he has a real Tiibut no snorkel (Ha).

Your car, your choice. However, I have a nice set of bottle caps if you decide to go that route and will swap you straight across.  Heck, I'll even pay shipping.?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

36 minutes ago, Conserv said:

Wait, Robert!  The stock ‘02 styled steel rims for square taillight cars are 13 x 5”. The e21 versions of the same design — which I suspect are the rims in the photo — are 13 x 5 1/2”. A 13 x 6” version may look very cool, but it’s going to be a custom build or modification.

Regards,

Steve

Correct....and are a hard sell to boot! I have 5 if anybody is in the market.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 hour ago, Robert Kyle said:

They're OK, but they look too much like Mercedes Bundt wheels to me.

Funny that, my Merc mates loved them, I don’t mind them on a lowered car with phat? tyres.

i took mine off, put a set of basket weaves on which I worked on for hours, then promptly drove into a curb!!!! And started over.

only issue with weaves is unless you run kleen wheels (which work Marshall?) and I got the last 14” set, you will be cleaning them often, as they seem to attract the brake dust by the pound!

Now I run period 13’s with 185’s and like the way it drives a lot.

F97309CC-6A4E-4040-9885-49A588602C0C.png

2C846B83-4047-4D90-8D2A-8E0BF51C0803.jpeg

358F68AC-7C1A-419E-99A8-DDE15E3D1131.jpeg

• Like 1

My '74 tii rolled on 14" bottlecaps with a polished lip for a few years.  Wheels were cheap & easy to find; polished the lip for add'l bling-age; 14" tires were easier to find at the time.

I like the basket-weave version, too - a bit more difficult to clean, but most BMWs look great in a Style 5!

• Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

@tdskip bottlecaps look way better on 02's than on e30's to me. Specially jazzed up a little with new paint or powder coat and maybe polished lips. Having said that I went with new e30 steelies and painted them silver. I know they're round and with a discount from the dealer they were a good deal. Like everyone says it's your car. Do what you like.

• Like 1

I chose not. It’s not that I don’t like them, but we wanted a period correct look and feel to the car, so we swapped out the wheels for the factory option 13” FPS alloys and the Recaros with original seats (which came with the car when we bought it a couple of years ago). 

Is it just a matter of styling that seems to cause the gagging and eye rolling? Or is there something else wrong with them? If it’s just the look,  I sort of get it when I think of how out of place a 5 star Campagnolo wheel from an Alfa Spider looks on a GTV, even though a similar 5 Star design Cromodora Daytona looks perfect. But what do I know? I just have a set of bottle caps w/185-70s plus a perfect unshod wheel taking up space in the garage. Trying to sell them has been pretty fruitless. 

E08C794D-3AB5-4F55-B73D-1882713BF2BD.jpeg