• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Bottlecap, or not to Bottlecap, that is the question....

tdskip

9 minutes ago, tdskip said:

Good morning - don’t you have a 914 to be putting back together? 

Hope you are doing well!

Haha!  Yes I do.  We've got the lids on, putting the headlights back in after cleaning them up and replacing parts.  It's on its way but, as much as I love the '74 and '75 p-cars, I miss driving the 2002 so, we're starting on the planning and tear down now.  The '75 914 is a 90% restoration, the 2002 will be 100%.

My "fun" cars so far:                                                                                                                                                                                                            My restoration website:

1976 BMW 2002a                                                                                                                                                                                                           http://www.2002and914.com

1975 Porsche 914

11 minutes ago, mmichalik said:

Haha!  Yes I do.  We've got the lids on, putting the headlights back in after cleaning them up and replacing parts.  It's on its way but, as much as I love the '74 and '75 p-cars, I miss driving the 2002 so, we're starting on the planning and tear down now.  The '75 914 is a 90% restoration, the 2002 will be 100%.

Looking forward to seeing how you get on with that! Thanks for jumping in.

11 hours ago, mmichalik said:

Never been a fan of the bottlecap wheels.  I had them on a 5 series and they just rubbed me the wrong way.  (I know this is all opinion but, just say'en)

I put a set of the stock e21 basket weave wheels on my 02.  I don't have a picture of the car with them on right now because we're in the process of tearing it down for the restoration but, here's what they look like on the 3 series.

basket_weave_e21.jpg

That's one sharp lookin' ride. It's not hard to see why people want to go for the Euro Look - very handsome, if original, and if a conversion is done right. The mesh-spoked alloy wheels have never really gone out of style, except for ones that were painted with gold centers (or white or body color). But they've been making a slow comeback. The all-silver without the polished outer rims just have a classic look.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2020 at 9:44 PM, golf73 said:

The mesh-spoked alloy wheels have never really gone out of style, except for ones that were painted with gold centers (or white or body color). But they've been making a slow comeback. The all-silver without the polished outer rims just have a classic look.

Yep - depends on body color.  Here's my buddy's Hartge H7s looking period-correct.

spacer.png

• Like 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

So guys, I am still lagging a bit behind on wheel sets for my car. Currently I have 2.75 sets: OE steelies, Bottlecaps and 3 E30 basket weaves. Something must be done!

What exactly are these? Tii wheels? Are they worth $750 (seems high)

Thanks in advance for saving me from a ponderous, slow search.

00N0N_fSoG7fDyGA5_600x450.jpg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

15 hours ago, rstclark said:

Skip

Please please please don't put Bottlecaps on your Tii As I recall you are working with Polaris  ??  There is no Bottlecap in any color that will look good 

Hows the Alfa coming along ?

Rob

Hi Rob, hope you’re doing well and thanks for asking.

I’ve made a decision to focus on the. Alloy wheels that I have and see how that all comes together.  This is a Polaris blue car (But very scruffy).

I did get the 1972 Alfa GTV  finished and we managed to complete the  Copperstate 1000 in it. Good event, Great people, exceptionally well run. 

E6499662-86B7-4710-93F3-5FC065FCA634.jpeg

26 minutes ago, tech71 said:

So guys, I am still lagging a bit behind on wheel sets for my car. Currently I have 2.75 sets: OE steelies, Bottlecaps and 3 E30 basket weaves. Something must be done!

Those look pretty nice

4 hours ago, tech71 said:

They are early 2002 factory alloy wheels.  Click on this link to learn more. 

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/wheels/bmw2002/fps-r53/

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Sweet Alfa

Don't let go of the early FPS wheels  If they don't have a casing saying FPS on one of the outside spokes, they are vintage and rare

Look to see if there is casting date .  I don't think they had them . These wheels were dealer option alloys from back when the car was new  They are the bomb IMHO. 

I had $1100 in the set on my Tii  They are 13x5  

These are still made today ( FPS is an Italian Company) but they have an much smoother casting and the FPS logo showing.  The new ones sell for like $250 each and they are not even vintage correct

They have their own center cap  and I see you have four  Good Job

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rstclark said:

Sweet Alfa

Don't let go of the early FPS wheels  If they don't have a casing saying FPS on one of the outside spokes, they are vintage and rare

Look to see if there is casting date .  I don't think they had them . These wheels were dealer option alloys from back when the car was new  They are the bomb IMHO. 

I had $1100 in the set on my Tii  They are 13x5  

These are still made today ( FPS is an Italian Company) but they have an much smoother casting and the FPS logo showing.  The new ones sell for like $250 each and they are not even vintage correct

They have their own center cap  and I see you have four  Good Job

+1

$750 for 5 = $150 each, including center caps. That’s a good price, whether they are period originals or newer reproductions! If you decide to pass on them, @tech71, perhaps you can share the contact (with seller’s permission); I’d bet other forum members would be interested.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

11 hours ago, rstclark said:

Note near as 'rare' as the later 'soup plate' alloys. The older five spokes definitely have casting dates, and were a factory option.