• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who’s had a barn find?

RichenFamous

So this past December I received a text from a friend that read: “Want this car?”, and nothing else, no pictures. I was driving, so Siri to the rescue. Call Dennis on speaker. He picks up and says that he can’t figure out his new phone to send pics. He proceeds to tell me his neighbor has a car that needs to vacate a sold auto body shop and it need to go by tomorrow before 0900. He just wants it gone, no $$$. It’s a 69 or 70 B-M-, yes Dennis, I’ll take it. It’s only 15 minutes from my house, so my daughter and I hop in the car and jam over there.

805237e05a4e706ac92deaa64547a517.jpg&key=60974de76db9cadbec2a0b98b4e653c90974d5ff06de9c804179951645c180a1

The owner of the body shop is there and tells me the car has been in his yard for about twelve years and two years ago something broke the rear windshield, ruining the interior (and filling the drivers side with a four inch deep pond). I tell him I’ll take it right now if he’s ok with it. Absolutely he says.

I call the owner of the car and tell him I’ll take it and how much does he want for it. Not a penny he says. Dennis told me all about you and your son (14 years old) restoring/driving/enjoying a 2002. I haven’t done anything with it all these years, it needs to go to a good home.

Raining lately, but the sun sure is shining that day as there is a tow service business next door and he says he’ll take it to my house for $70. I had $80, please take it, keep the change. I can’t believe the good fortune.

6a701d32eab25b81ea3bab1f30a4ded4.jpg&key=000b494e09a5457d350377a944ab684994e989a35d1d83d79a76c4169290cfa0

Get the neglected 02 home and the boy pressure washes for two hours straight.

c10cbc1948c0696def34279512a8ee31.jpg

We get him (Heinrich the sunroofed ‘70) pushed into the garage and rip every bit of interior out in an attempt to dry him out and assess rust issues. Nothing crazy at all!

f35d876919dd033278057aba97235efe.jpg&key=31c3fe34f4f059cca29bcff2f29c586e5af8e2acb6deda88c7b04f640d1f53b9

Now at this stage, we are going to put the cover on him and pull focus back to our ‘69, Otto, so we can “finish” one project at a time.

d2aec460a2ba6603012bafd7b72f2d5d.jpg&key=f41b434eef1da617bd4633d707519f64fd98543642b35c4d2e80e8f280fccb1e

So, the “barn finds” are still out there. I watch those videos on YouTube all the time and have thought all the barn finds have been found, but here I am to tell you they are not.

Good luck to everyone searching, just when I stopped, one found me.

Who’s got a barn find??

Cheers folks,

Rich

• Like 7

Congrats Rich, what a great project for you and your son.  About 6 months ago I found two barn finds (rather they found me)- a 69 and 74.  Just like you said, these cars tend to pop up when you're not looking.   And thanks for the parts I needed for my 69.   You scored a major haul of parts and you were kind enough to share.

• Like 2

'73 2002tii Colorado

'71 1600 cabriolet

'69 1600 cabriolet

I sell floor pans for coupes and 2002's

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Daron has one :)

hey that’s only five cars away from my engine, closest one I’ve seen yet. 

As far as barn finds a guy at the grocery store told me about his old boss who had a turbo sitting in his yard 10-15 years ago. He offered to call him and ask if he still had it but I was late for work, I should’ve stuck around. 

Congrats Rich, what a great project for you and your son.  About 6 months ago I found two barn finds (rather they found me)- a 69 and 74.  Just like you said, these cars tend to pop up when you're not looking.   And thanks for the parts I needed for my 69.   You scored a major haul of parts and you were kind enough to share.   

Right you are Mike, those energies in the universe are absolute!

My son is truly excited knowing the 69 will be his when he graduates, that is if he puts in the work and has a qualifying GPA;) Saturday mornings are our wrench time and we hope to do the Targa Baja in the next year or two.

You’re very welcome on the parts, thank you for needing them! I have a lot more parts that folks need to come get, I got great deals and they need to be paid forward. [emoji482]

• Like 1

hey that’s only five cars away from my engine, closest one I’ve seen yet. 

As far as barn finds a guy at the grocery store told me about his old boss who had a turbo sitting in his yard 10-15 years ago. He offered to call him and ask if he still had it but I was late for work, I should’ve stuck around. 

Oh man! How could’ve a turbo not have been known to be a rare specimen enough to not sit in someone’s yard!

You just reminded me, I have two engine blocks I need to check the numbers on to see if they match anyone’s. They will be free. I’ll post their numbers this weekend.

Not a barn find but an urban garage find.  Stored for nine years in a garage in Los Angeles county before I rescued this 73 Bavaria. The engine was frozen due to bad head gasket and sitting for years with water in the cylinders. Jeff Ireland provided me a replacement M30 motor.  During my ownership, a few upgrades were made, auto to 5-speed conversion, Bilsteins, Hella H4/H1 lights, Weber carbs, BBS RA wheels, etc....  Original color was Verona, PO repainted it a shitty malaga. I miss this E3 but I've got first dibs on buying it back.

IMGA0440.jpg

IMGA0438.jpg

Edited by Gordon
  • Like 3

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

My barn find came with 5 lbs of rat poop, and one absolutely flattened, mummified rat carcass.

I have no idea how it became 5mm thick, bones and all.

But it's an '82 320, and aside from the one rust hole in the trunk that

let the rats in, the shell's very clean.

Friend of my sister- in- law's, by word of mouth...

I had a landslide find once- it hadn't quite slid down the slope- yet.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL