• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who’s had a barn find?

RichenFamous

I didn't find it.  Jack did.  In a "pole barn" in a far northwestern suburb of Chicago.  It had been neglected, but was complete.  Then Jack decided to relocate to another state. That's when I bought it.   In the dead of winter, after a blizzard that a left 16" of fresh snow on the ground, I dug it out of the snow bank behind his house just before he made the move and straight into storage it went.  Months later when the snow was gone and the temperature was above fifty degrees, ,,,,,,,,low and  behold, the documents in the drivers seat pocket revealed that I had just secured Bobby Rahal's 1972 Inka/black 2002Tii.

.............slowly, very slowly it's being reassembled.

Mac.  

• Like 4

I didn't find it.  Jack did.  In a "pole barn" in a far northwestern suburb of Chicago.  It had been neglected, but was complete.  Then Jack decided to relocate to another state. That's when I bought it.   In the dead of winter, after a blizzard that a left 16" of fresh snow on the ground, I dug it out of the snow bank behind his house just before he made the move and straight into storage it went.  Months later when the snow was gone and the temperature was above fifty degrees, ,,,,,,,,low and  behold, the documents in the drivers seat pocket revealed that I had just secured Bobby Rahal's 1972 Inka/black 2002Tii.

Mac.  
WOW. Didn't The Werk Shop build him a virtual duplicate 10-odd years ago? I'm sure that he would absolutely love to see it when it's done. Would be really cool to display both side by side somehow somewhere.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Mac.  

Crazy! The heart rate was up from digging all the snow but I bet the ticker raced up again on the double take that it was Rahal’s car. I remember as a kid watching ABC Wide World of Sports when he won Indy in ‘86. We met his son Graham in Cabo a few years ago, super cool guy.
That’s a great find!

5 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

WOW. Didn't The Werk Shop build him a virtual duplicate 10-odd years ago? I'm sure that he would absolutely love to see it when it's done. Would be really cool to display both side by side somehow somewhere.

The duplicate that the Werkshop built for Rahal was on display last year at the BMW CCA Foundation Museum as part of the "BMW Passion" exhibition.  That exhibition ended about two weeks ago, which means I have Wolfgang back from his year's free storage!

Mac, does Bobby know you have his original car?  Maybe he'd trade with you!

cheers

mike

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1936spyder:  If the original and the repro were parked side by side, you'd think you were suffering from double vision.  Call your optometrist.  LOL

RichnFamous:  When I dug it out of the snow bank, I had visions of converting it into a vintage racer-that's where the action is these days.  ("Three Buddies Racing", I own it, you drive it, you bring the food.).  An unexpected death and the documents discovery changed that plan. 

Mike:  Bobby knows I have the car.  If you had the original (of anything, art, historical/antique something, etc.)  would you trade it for a copy?  I didn't think so.  Me neither. 

Mac. 

• Like 2