• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield wiper arms chrome or black?

ALW62

Could someone confirm if the windshield wiper arms for '74 and later 2002's are polished aluminum / "chrome" effect or if they were black?  In my case a '74 Tii which I imported from Italy several years ago arrived with polished aluminum arms however I recently read somewhere '74 and later were black.  Trying to confirm on this point.  Any and all input appreciated.

Yes, the square tail light cars had black wiper arms. New ones from BMW are prohibitively expensive, about $120 each.

I just had a set powder-coated for my '74 tii and the total cost through a FAQ board member was $60 including the wiper arms themselves. I'd be more than happy to put you in contact with him if you'd like.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

45 minutes ago, ALW62 said:

imported from Italy several years ago arrived with polished aluminum arms 

Maybe they were correct for Italy.  Therefore valid on your imported car. Someone makes a polished aluminum

vintage blade that is readily available.   Aamco?

Chrome/polished is more fun IMHO.

Edited by PaulTWinterton
  • Thanks 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

I believe the black wiper arms, like the black plastic front side grilles, were part of the square taillight re-design of the ‘02. Can I show unambiguous evidence that Italian square taillight cars received black wiper arms? Perhaps not.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

AFAIK, like Steve, I believe all the squarelight cars, regardless of their eventual destination, came with black wiper arms and blades.  That being said...

The black (powder?) coating on those black windshield wiper arms eventually flaked off, leaving a shiny stainless steel finish underneath.  The way to tell if your wiper arms were originally black--but aren't any more--vs a shiny or matte (US roundies, '68 on) chrome finish is to carefully examine the arm's base--the round end that clamps to the wiper shaft.  It's pot metal, and if the arm was originally shiny or matte chrome, the base will be also.  If the arm was originally black, the base will be dull, raw pot metal.  

Check yours closely and let us know whatcha find.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 hours ago, mike said:

AFAIK, like Steve, I believe all the squarelight cars, regardless of their eventual destination, came with black wiper arms and blades.  That being said...

The black (powder?) coating on those black windshield wiper arms eventually flaked off, leaving a shiny stainless steel finish underneath.  The way to tell if your wiper arms were originally black--but aren't any more--vs a shiny or matte (US roundies, '68 on) chrome finish is to carefully examine the arm's base--the round end that clamps to the wiper shaft.  It's pot metal, and if the arm was originally shiny or matte chrome, the base will be also.  If the arm was originally black, the base will be dull, raw pot metal.  

Check yours closely and let us know whatcha find.

mike

Another great tip, Mike, and I’ve seen stripped, but originally-black, wipers, with their dull bases.

More commonly, however, I see owners with wipers blades swapped from one car to another, rather than being originals stripped of finish... So if this car’s current blades were originally polished, I’d conclude these blades were simply swapped onto the car.

My brochure of U.S.-spec 1974 models shows black wipers, as does an English-language brochure of Euro-spec 1974 models. Every turbo brochure I’ve seen (1974 and 1975) shows black wipers. I don’t know if there was an Italy-only brochure for 1974 models, so that source is probably not likely to provide a conclusive answer for Italian-market cars.

A 1975 Italian-market 2002 with the Lux option was for sale at Aston Martin of New England in October 2012, and was later seen at Korman Autoworks. It’s greatest attraction was it’s amazing originality and condition, and it’s 11K original kilometers! It even sported a period Sicilian parking disc. The wipers? Black. 

While I recognize that Italian market regulations, for instance, dictated the distinctive clear-amber front turn signals, I’ve not seen evidence — beyond the current car’s bright windshield wipers — of square taillight cars equipped by the factory with anything other than black wipers.

Regards,

Steve

E6597F7E-6F35-4FA5-A652-F96F1B3CA65E.jpeg

DCA5218E-7CEA-4083-AB85-D5DAEA0ABFDA.jpeg

EE14514C-C7F2-4001-8229-5348822E9846.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

Maybe they were correct for Italy.  Therefore valid on your imported car. Someone makes a polished aluminum

vintage blade that is readily available.   Aamco?

Chrome/polished is more fun IMHO.

15" bare metal wipers bayonet style can be found at NAPA classic line PN 6-1533

image.png.10a26e23bad203c9f6319ff4056ca28b.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1974 was a big year for the highway safety act cars sold as 74 and later need to meet standards for many things bumpers, size of taillights and removal of reflecting surfaces from in front of the driver, so BMW took the Rolling Stones advice and just painted them black.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

6 hours ago, NYNick said:

My 74 showed up with black wiper arms. I noticed a shiny (chrome?) finish underneath the peeling or flaking black finish. I painted them black again.

I believe there’s no question about U.S.-spec, or even most European-spec cars. The question is whether there was some cockamamie Italian regulation that dictated something other than black wipers for cars delivered in Italy, and Italy alone.

I believe the answer is unambiguously no, but it’s going to be hard to prove.

Regards,

Steve

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

For those wanting to refinish their late black wiper arms.  SEM Trim Black works great for the re-paint.

+ 1 on that; it gives a nice semi-gloss finish that matches the factory finish very well.  I've used it to repaint "black" wiper arms that were painted/powder coated black and were peeling.  Also good to recoat black-finished stainless steel trim. 

Suggestion:  first scuff 'em up with a Scotchbrite pad, then prime with a self-etching primer--the proper stuff will be marked "for stainless steel" on the spray can.  The black finish will last a lot longer over the primer.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, GC-CA said:

... I'm in the SF bay area with a '74tii and need my wipers (black) powder coated...can you forward me that contact info?...

I had my ‘76’s wipers re-powdercoated and they came out great. I lived in Atlanta at the time and used Miller’s Powdercoating. There are powdercoaters local to you, wherever you live!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv