• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best adhesive advice

tomphot

Before I had my car painted, I was having a heck of a time getting this to adhere to the corner.  Before I start trying things, does anyone have something that works the first time?

A1681786-7852-4107-880B-EDC6464266B8.jpeg

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

I've had good results with Weldwood Gel Formula Contact Cement.  I use 3M Adhesive Remover to clean things to help them stick.  Follow directions with the contact adhesive - apply to both surfaces & allow to dry before bringing items together.

https://www.dap.com/dap-products-ph/weldwood-gel-formula-contact-cement/

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Adhesive-Remover/?N=5002385+3293194120&rt=rud

Edited by John_in_VA
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

That is a newer style rubber strip which is much more stiff than the original style. You need to butter both sides with the 3M adhesive, wait for it to get good and tacky, get some good gorilla tape to keep it in place while it cures.

Keep you hood up for 24 hours in a good warm environment and then they stick.

If your paint wasn’t so nice, I would say to scuff up the surface to give it some tooth.

.. ask me how I know :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I've found with the rubber available now days you need to ruff up the glued surfaces with something like a scotch-bright pad to get the mold release off, I think they are using some kinda silicone now instead of the old talc based release that they used in the old days.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I'm a fan of contact cement, but the last time I did this job I used 3M Marine Adhesive (black).  Probably 10 years ago and still holding.  

12 hours ago, RichenFamous said:

I used 3M moulding tape. Undetectable and she ain’t coming off. My Kamei spoiler is mounted with it too. 100mph tested.

I also like this stuff for different uses.  Amazing. 

• Like 2

73 Inka Tii #2762958