• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First post / your opinion on this...

Howie

Greetings gents.  I'm new to posting but have lurked here for quite a while.

I'm interested in building up an 02, preferably from a rolling, rust-free shell.  However, this finished 72' came up and is literally a half mile from my house.

It's the stock motor, looks like E30 5 spd, and the body is very straight and rust free.  Yeah, the color is out there (and I'd change that) but price-wise it seems high.

Your thoughts?

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/d/scottsdale-1972-bmw-2002/7061962480.html

Oh god... they painted the bumpers. That was my first thought on seeing the car.

Second, third and forth thoughts:

Not a car i would pay 16K for.

Need more pics

Asking 16K and only posting 2 pics? Kind of silly and a little fishy.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

He sent me additional clearer pics but I'm hesitant to post them since they're his.

But I did see the car today and it is very clean and solid.

New Recaros, NOS dash, headliner, etc.  Smooth motor, solid trans, no pulling, good brake bite, doors could use adjusting but that's it really.

Seems like a 11-12k car to me.

Edited by Howie

Here's some pics when the car was for sale last April on Craigslist...…..it was in Prescott, AZ, then. Different Seller, or the Seller moved??

No trunk seal and no engine bay side seals.

76893481_B36261c.thumb.jpg.04cd4679c1fdccd24131cdb5422dd5fe.jpg1479427377_B36261d.thumb.jpg.4a7750113b5962bb4463e26699f6e7e4.jpg1474100918_B36261e.thumb.jpg.fe900f370771081bb3a01b19da005f39.jpg2136677413_B36261g.thumb.jpg.fc3b04c192fa05183940a48e95dc0adc.jpg

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Personally, no at that price. I like a little less molested cars personally.

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Thanks guys.  Yeah, previous seller was in Prescott but I was told that was 1.5 years ago, no matter.

Agreed, less molested preferred.  I'm more of a rough paint, lowered, rat rod type.

I do that damn drive twice a day.  High mortality rate.

If you're not in love with it, don't buy it.

It's probably not an unreasonable price for someone

who wants a car that looks that way.  But if you don't, 

it's overpriced.

Personally, I think de- chroming was a mistake.  But I do like the stantz.

I don't think those are the original rims in '72, and it's certainly not the original dash.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Some kind of black paint applied to the engine bay and inner side of trunk looks funky and cheap. But I suppose a way was needed to cover up the previous red.

I would be immediately suspicious of the quality of that midnight blue paint job.

No telling what's under that layer of paint either.

Also, no way is that car "restored" A well used car with a "cover up" job.

It may be a solid car but I would not even pay $10,000 because first thing I would have to do is sand off that blue paint and whatever is underneath until I hit "original" and refinish.

The "stantz" is nice though.

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

For the reasons listed above, this blue Frankenbimmer does not speak to me. But what do I know? I drive a very sedate, original looking Sahara 02. I go for the mild, not the wild 2002s. But seriously, the way that it was redone (haphazardly?) will appeal to a smaller niche of first-time 02 buyers; not so much to the long-time 02 owners.

(Photo:  This was taken on Saturday 2-1-20; Gave this teen from Germany a thrill. It was Adrian Heidrich's first ride in a 2002 and his first time in the liberal mecca called Yellow Springs, Ohio. By some miracle, we managed to meet Dave Chapell in a coffee shop in Yellow Springs. Dave is a gracious, kind, cool guy!)

IMG_0701.jpg

Edited by Jim_75Sahara
  • Like 1

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz