• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 02 tii info request-vin # 2782477

kprocyk

Notwithstanding the seller's reputation, asking price, bottlecaps, snorkel discussion, bad respray, and lack of undercarriage shots, what I see is a very original car down to its yellowed water bottle and window rubber.  I see that golden hue of failed Polaris paint under the bonnet, fender wells and door jambs which would tell me very original, but I do agree "like new" is an embellishment.  If it weren't painted, perhaps this might be called unmolested rather than like new. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

... see that golden hue of failed Polaris paint under the bonnet...

+1

Thank you, Steve. I thought I was alone in recognizing that famous “golden hue”.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

15 minutes ago, Conserv said:

+1

Thank you, Steve. I thought I was alone in recognizing that famous “golden hue”.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

I've got more gold than the Lost Dutchman on my 74 Polaris.  Golden Hue should have been a BMW standard color.

Now I noticed this car has the ever important but always missing screw protector caps on the brake fluid reservoir, does that make it "like new" or a "survivor". I have one of two remaining, who's car still has them?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

Now I noticed this car has the ever important but always missing screw protector caps on the brake fluid reservoir, does that make it "like new" or a "survivor". I have one of two remaining, who's car still has them?

I gave the one that came on my car to a friend who needed one and upgraded to the reinforced variety.

IMG_2443.thumb.JPG.5c33d84c0d2db5967f278bf434e493f2.JPG

Speaking of windshield seals, does anybody know where I can get a new bubble?  The lines on mine are getting hard to read.  I don't see it on realOEM.

IMG_2444.thumb.JPG.77beddad51abfae143cb0e7058a65646.JPG

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Both my cars still have the original caps...they're not that easy to knock off...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

Both my cars still have the original caps...they're not that easy to knock off...

mike

Mike,

But your cars also have original clutches at 250K miles! ?

I lost one of the plastic protector caps from my ‘76. Steve Tochi, feeling sorry for my car, sent me an original cap as a replacement. But then I lost the other original cap in the Big-Repaint. ?

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

21 minutes ago, jimk said:

All the photos of the bell housing timing hole have the plastic plug missing.  I have mine!

and here is picture.

We should make request to @Tsingtao_1903 see if he could make it on his 3D printer for us and we probably should pay @jimk royalty fee for each plug.

40274448_ScreenShot2020-02-15at10_01_44AM.thumb.png.d5e505886744197acbdf83f0387a6b80.png

• Like 1

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

20 minutes ago, Buckeye said:

and here is picture.

We should make request to @Tsingtao_1903 see if he could make it on his 3D printer for us and we probably should pay @jimk royalty fee for each plug.

@Tsingtao_1903 (Trieu) does such cool stuff with that printer (if this happens, I’d purchase a handful of them). -KB

• Like 1

Returning to the original topic, I do not think this car is as grim as some have suggested. I think Steve T is probably more on the mark. It’s located just a couple of miles from my office and I took a look at. It started right up and idled nicely. I crawled underneath with my flashlight, and it is surprisingly solid and is not gummed up with some undercoating to hide the rust.   Maybe a 7 1/2 or 8, 1 being a parts car and 10 a  Southern California car.  It has some vintage stickers from Missouri, suggesting it spent some time in the Midwest. In person, the seller is very accommodating, he offered to put it up on the lift and let me take it for a drive, have a mechanic look at it, etc.  He has a bunch of great cars, probably leans a little bit more towards British makes.The interior is actually quite nice—the vinyl in the photos looks off I think because of Armour All residue, but it’s in great shape, albeit with saggy springs and cushions. I did not try the sunroof. The nose has been replaced, it is not the original block. I took a look at it because like most base model drivers, a Tii is on my bucket list.  It’s a lot of money to take a flyer on long distance but if you’re in the market and are a  tank of gas away I think it’s worth a look.

4E2027E9-7EB1-444F-B739-81EF90C64103.jpeg

646F8ADC-7F0A-4892-8D10-3D629BB16F74.jpeg

• Like 3