• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original bits no longer on your car

Steve Tochi

4 hours ago, 2002Targa said:

plastic U-cap that goes on the trunk torsion bars.

Actually that cap only was placed on 2002s with VINs below 1664760 (how's that for trivia!).  That was one of those little changes made at the 1 Jan 69 beginning of "second series" '69 2002s for the US market.

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

the plastic covers for both sides of my rear window latches. 

On roundies, that part wasn't added until VIN about 2587400 or so.  My '73 never had 'em and its VIN is 2587090.  All the squarelights (with black latches) had those covers.  The plastic wasn't up to constant sun exposure (more obscure trivia)

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've got two no one has mentioned yet! And I even have the pieces because I took them off...

Center bearing heat shield

Idler Arm heat shield

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

19 minutes ago, roadhog0 said:

I've got two no one has mentioned yet! And I even have the pieces because I took them off...

Center bearing heat shield

The diagram shows it turned 90 degrees as to how it mounts, but real oem shows it listed throughout the production series. 

Drive shaft,univ.joint/center mounting 

Sponsored links

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes

09 Protection plate   1 03/1966 07/1977 26111205001     ENDED

But what do I know

AFAIK the shield came into use on the 75 and 76 model fitted with the thermo reactor manifold as the exhaust temps were way up there. Same with the idler bearing on the right side. 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Missing on my Tii, all side markers, rear reflectors and rear bumper brackets (all in a box should FO want them).

Battery bracket which PO removed when he moved battery to trunk - makes for a lot more room when in the engine bay!
Ash tray - center console has been customized. 
Original steering wheel - it’s cracked and hanging on the wall in favor of a Nardi.

Bulbs in the rear tail light in favor of LED panels.

Tii steelie wheels - would love to find a set.

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

52 minutes ago, tomphot said:

Missing on my Tii, all side markers, rear reflectors and rear bumper brackets (all in a box should FO want them).

Battery bracket which PO removed when he moved battery to trunk - makes for a lot more room when in the engine bay!
Ash tray - center console has been customized. 
Original steering wheel - it’s cracked and hanging on the wall in favor of a Nardi.

Bulbs in the rear tail light in favor of LED panels.

Tii steelie wheels - would love to find a set.

If you want 5.5x13's, I have a set from the 80's.

52 minutes ago, tomphot said:

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

37 minutes ago, coloincaalpine said:

How about those missing little knurled nuts and rubber washers on the back of the gauge cluster?

Find an E30 and pick up a couple more.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

For retracting front seat belts (implemented just before January 1, 1972), the plastic clip that keeps the male component of the buckle from sliding to the floor while the seat belt is unbuckled.

This is an inexpensive, two-piece clip that clamps around the webbing of the outboard front seat belts — self-retracting seat belts only — to keep the male component from sliding to the floor. These have been popping off from Day One. Below is a photo of my ‘76, showing the clip just barely peeking out from under the buckle, and the RealOEM.com schematic, showing part numbers.

These things are so often missing that I have no idea when they were first placed in use. The retracting front seat belts, I believe, were implemented just before January 1, 1972. Did every ‘02 with retracting front seat belts get these clips, or were the clips added later in production? I haven’t a clue, but every 1975-76 I can recall certainly had them from new. My ‘73 has none, but that’s not particularly informative, given the ease with which they pop off... ?

Without the clip, the buckle drops either to the floor — somewhat inconveniently— or part way to the floor, where it gets jammed between the door card and the seat. Come to think of it, why haven’t I added a pair to my ‘73? ?

Regards,

Steve

62ABEECF-3035-4FF2-B221-6F15D6AF4AF1.jpeg

73A97893-75B8-42C6-B406-A6DBA1D94EFB.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, conkitchen said:

The diagram shows it turned 90 degrees as to how it mounts, but real oem shows it listed throughout the production series. 

Drive shaft,univ.joint/center mounting 

Sponsored links

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes

09 Protection plate   1 03/1966 07/1977 26111205001     ENDED

Ive been hanging on to that piece of metal thinking. It was for my Toyota truck.  Scoping these entries made me realize i too have the plastic torsion  u thingies, center bearing heat shield AND the idler arm heat shield.   

9E26F228-D211-4223-8A3F-DA4A277C1004.jpeg

9A3DD536-DDFB-4D88-8BCE-06D1C880835D.jpeg

• Like 2