• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Original bits no longer on your car

Steve Tochi

13 hours ago, conkitchen said:

In reality, I scoff when people list their cars for sale and proclaim "ALL ORIGINAL".  

If they only had a clue what that entails after nearly 50 years.  

but I digress

+1

Thank you! My view exactly!

My one-owner ‘76 has four full volumes of receipts. Although it is probably more original — in the true sense of that word — than 97% of surviving ‘02’s, it is, emphatically not “All Original”. It hasn’t been “All Original” since April 23, 1976, the day it was manufactured. Three points I’d make are: (1.) cars in the 1970’s generally broke more often than modern cars, meaning stuff got replaced, a lot; (2.) cars in the 1970’s required much more frequent service than modern cars, meaning stuff got replaced, a lot; and (3.) these particular cars encouraged some of us to drive them hard, meaning they broke even more, resulting in... yes, even more replacements!

I describe my car as “Stock”, or even “Very Stock”, which simply means that the replaced parts were intended to duplicate the original parts.

Thank you, again, for making this point,

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, Steve Tochi said:

Yellow factory paint marks on axles which I have since replaced so they're gone.  Front springs had blue/green marks?  NCRS would be deducting points for sure.

IMG_0126.JPG

We put the marks back after rebuilding the ‘76’s mechanicals. The new marks, however, are a bit tidier, and more “studied”, than the very sloppy originals...

Hey... we tried...

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Conserv said:

We put the marks back after rebuilding the ‘76’s mechanicals. The new marks, however, are a bit tidier, and more “studied”, than the very sloppy originals...

Hey... we tried...

Best regards,

Steve

Knowing you Steve, selecting the proper yellow must have caused tremendous anxiety and consternation. Do you think its just Golf from the factory paint shop?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Knowing you Steve, selecting the proper yellow must have caused tremendous anxiety and consternation. Do you think its just Golf from the factory paint shop?

Steve,

I don’t believe it’s likely Golf, and it tends to vary, as in simply “Get me some yellow paint, Dieter!” Like subframe paint, like the chassis VIN, where they sloppily masked the number so paint wouldn’t obscure it, BMW really didn’t sweat the details at that level...

Best regards,

Steve C.

Edited by Conserv

The guys that painted the stripes on those road springs were the same ones who slopped the black paint on the hood hinge support brackets with an old paintbrush.  And BTW, those stripes indicate the spring rates...

And one more item:  that goofy folding key that came with the early cars...and to show the factory didn't quite trust 'em, you also got a blued-finish steel key.   Anyone still have the cardboard key tag from the factory with the car's VIN written in a very Germanic script?

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Item #7, usually long gone, fills the gap created by the rounded side window corner:

image.png.db2cb4b3718253f8b08c32427bee45d2.png

Inner trunk side panels, and the cabin ventilation tubes have been knocked off of their tubes under the hat shelf inside the trunk.

Plastic protective shield behind the headlights, too.

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

14 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

Yellow factory paint marks on axles which I have since replaced so they're gone.  Front springs had blue/green marks?  NCRS would be deducting points for sure.

just for comparison : NOS case (flanges bolts etc. are not nos)
spacer.png

Edited by uai

11 hours ago, JerryC said:

Inner trunk side panels, and the cabin ventilation tubes have been knocked off of their tubes under the hat shelf inside the trunk.

Speaking of trunks, I believe its rare to see the original elephant hide strips adhered to the bottom of each fender well.

• Like 4