• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Tii Fuel Tank Identifiction Help

Update: filler neck was definitely cut but, fitment was perfect. Just need to replace the filler. 

Need some pics please of an early Tii fuel tank with, the twist in fuel pick up.

I received what was supposed to be an early Tii tank yesterday. I haven't checked the mount points yet but can certainly see that the fuel pick up is way,way wrong and, the filler neck is the short style.

Any help appreciated.   Enclosed pic of the tank that I received that was sold as an early tii tank.

Dan

IMG_3201.JPG

IMG_3202.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3216.JPG

IMG_3214.JPG

Edited by coloincaalpine

I just bought a 73tii with a dented tank in it, presumably original because the dents matched the body dents. It came with a spare tii tank that has a different filler neck and different locations for the mounting bolts, but it fit in place and works. I can take pics of both if that would help you. I don't know if the replacement tank is earlier or later.

Andrew

• Thanks 1

Both mine have bolt in fuel pickup and twist-in sending unit for the gauge.

My filler necks were different by a couple inches, one straight, one had a slight angle to the end, but both fit into the rubber hose fine.

I moved my pickup and sending unit from one to the other, worked fine in both locations. My extra fuel filter is to catch any gubbins that come up. Tank was OK but not perfect inside.

Andrew

tii tank.jpg

Nick’s tank is a U.S. square taillight tank, easily distinguishable because the right rear corner of the tank is cropped to clear the U.S. square taillights’ crash reinforcements. Round taillight tanks have a full right rear corner like the tank Dan has shown (although BMW now sells the square taillight version under both the square taillight and round tailllight part numbers!). All square taillight tii tanks should have bolt-in fuel pickups, as round taillight cars “upgraded” from twist-in to bolt-in with VIN 2761963 (June 1972, just after the first tranche of E12 heads and aluminum intake runners).

My ‘73 (VIN 2762757, manufactured October 19, 1972), shown below — let’s assume, for now, that the tank is original, but I can’t prove that — has a bolt-in fuel pickup, but the neck appears to be a bit taller than the tank Dan has shown.

Dan, is the neck of the tank you’ve shown tall enough to work with the later fuel filler rubber boot?

Your tii, Dan, is very early for a U.S.-spec example, and I’m guessing the tank you’ve shown is suitably early — only that short filler neck concerns me. Is there any possibility that Euro-spec cars, which didn’t need to capture evaporative emissions from the tank, had a shorter neck? Maybe someone can check the parts book?

Best regards,

Steve

8C0E673F-C41F-4ED5-A98C-DD31DD8F2C9C.jpeg

A3D797D2-C287-4E1D-9D42-6EE7A29DADED.jpeg

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 minutes ago, coloincaalpine said:

The tank came from a Euro Race car

That 69 is a "ti".  Not a tii tank at all, IMO.  It looks like a prototype or custom with all the extra ports on top.  I would presume that you could substitute a stock twist-in pickup unit, and fabricate a new neck.

Here is my roundie 73 tii tank pickups for reference, FWIW.

GasTankPickups1.thumb.jpg.82a98f587d929b457c5e136d6e7c9033.jpg

• Like 1

73 Inka Tii #2762958

The changeover from screw-in to bolt-in fuel pick up was from 2761963 to 2761964 according to the parts book. No info given on filler neck, but, again according to the parts book, the same filler tube was used from 2760001 & on.

• Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

6 hours ago, PaulTWinterton said:

That 69 is a "ti".  Not a tii tank at all, IMO.  It looks like a prototype or custom with all the extra ports on top.  I would presume that you could substitute a stock twist-in pickup unit, and fabricate a new neck.

Here is my roundie 73 tii tank pickups for reference, FWIW.

GasTankPickups1.thumb.jpg.82a98f587d929b457c5e136d6e7c9033.jpg

+1

I’m voting with Paul on this.

1969 and ti would explain the short filler neck! So does an early tii fuel pickup — twist-on — actually work with this 1969 tank? The twist-on locking system looks different. If so, you could simply lengthen the filler neck, as Paul suggested...

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

I know that my 73tii has the twist-in type of fuel pickup and my 74tii has the bolt-in kind.

WRONG  I just verified that both my 73tii & 74tii have the bolt-in fuel pickup and long filler tube.

It must have been the 3.0 csi that I used to own that had the twist-in pickup.

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

However, according to the parts book...….the ti had the same gas tank as all other '02 models at that time, ie no bolt-in fuel pick up hole in it.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I agree with Les, the Ti did not have a fuel return line so there was no need to use a different pickup than the standard '02.  Someone has built some kind of surge tank in that "race" tank.  there is also some kind of vent or tube coming out of the fuel level sensor, I suspect there is no sensor bits inside of that housing.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC