• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition coil resistor in wiring?

sam1904

15 minutes ago, HBChris said:

There was a resistor in my 75.

I nabbed the photo from your link above

IMG_1370.JPG

I just reread the article in the reference section, "Ignition Coil Myths Busted"

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles.html/technical-articles/electrical-and-ignition/ignition-coil-myths-busted-r52/

and found this info about the resistor wire--

Also on '74 and later, the obvious ceramic resistor was replaced by a sneaky, "special" resistance wire that runs in the harness from somewhere over the engine to the coil's positive terminal - it has clear insulation and a molded marker at the coil end with the resistance value on it (by now those are usually just a blob of crispy rubber). All resistors for all years were 1.8 ohms, according to the factory manual.

I suspect that little piece is a label, not a resistor. Either way, why would it be .9, as opposed to 1.8 Ohms?

It would be interesting to see what an Ohm meter says, if you place the leads on either side of that little block.

(My '76 does not have that little white piece on the resistor wire).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I suspect that little piece is a label, not a resistor. Either way, why would it be .9, as opposed to 1.8 Ohms?

It would be interesting to see what an Ohm meter says, if you place the leads on either side of that little block.

The square taillight 2002tiis have a resistor wire that's twice as long as the ones used on "regular" square taillight 2002s and has 1.8 ohms of resistance.  The longer the resister wire, the more resistance... The original black coils used on "regular" 2002s specify to use a resistor with 0.9 ohms resistance.  Not to be confused with the original black coils used on 2002tiis that specified to use a 1.8 ohm resistor.  Hope that makes sense...

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I nabbed the photo from your link above

IMG_1370.JPG

I just reread the article in the reference section, "Ignition Coil Myths Busted"

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles.html/technical-articles/electrical-and-ignition/ignition-coil-myths-busted-r52/

and found this info about the resistor wire--

Also on '74 and later, the obvious ceramic resistor was replaced by a sneaky, "special" resistance wire that runs in the harness from somewhere over the engine to the coil's positive terminal - it has clear insulation and a molded marker at the coil end with the resistance value on it (by now those are usually just a blob of crispy rubber). All resistors for all years were 1.8 ohms, according to the factory manual.

Maybe you’re correct.  I removed it and tossed it, it also had the clear wire as I recall.

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix

On 3/13/2020 at 11:49 AM, JohnS said:

The square taillight 2002tiis have a resistor wire that's twice as long as the ones used on "regular" square taillight 2002s and has 1.8 ohms of resistance.  The longer the resister wire, the more resistance... The original black coils used on "regular" 2002s specify to use a resistor with 0.9 ohms resistance.  Not to be confused with the original black coils used on 2002tiis that specified to use a 1.8 ohm resistor.  Hope that makes sense...

Yes, that makes sense.  Thank you for the clarification.  That information would be nice to add to the comment section at the bottom of the "Coil Myths" article; (where it states that all resistors were 1.8 Ohms).

43 minutes ago, Chris_B said:

the resistor wire only works with a relay driven by the starter circuit 

I think there was a relay involved with the ceramic resistors on earlier cars, but am not aware of one on my '76.

Where is it located?

On 3/14/2020 at 10:08 PM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

think there was a relay involved with the ceramic resistors on earlier cars, but am not aware of one on my '76.

Where is it located?

My '76 does not have a dedicated relay...doesn't need one cuz it has the starter wire (black/red) for starting, and the resistor wire for cruising.  The 1.8 Ohm spec mentioned does make sense. A .9 Ohm coil with a .9 Ohm resistor (ceramic or clear wire) equals 1.8 Ohms.

The length of the resistor wire square-tail non-Tii cars gives .9 Ohm resistance. Double the length for the '74 Tii will give 1.8 Ohms.

Does anyone know the coil model numbers (w/resistance values) for the square-tail Tii and the non-Tii models??

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

This post actually explains the coil situation the best so I am bringing it back from dead.

My original California 76' has the .9Ohm resistor and I replaced the original dead coil (not sure why it was dead) with an autoparts store 1.5 Ohm coil, its been running well enough. My question is, is running a 1.5 ohm coil when the original black coil is .9ohm really make a considerable difference? Car is idling fine? Am I running a total resistance of 3.3ohms? .9 from resistor, ,9 from cable and 1.5 from coil? 

What am I missing here? This whole coil discussion seems endless! HELP! @John76 is my usual savior! :)

Here's how the original late-model ignition system worked.

Ignore/erase the RED wire which is only used for a direct bypass of the resistor wire with a low-resistor coil and a PerTronix II ignition.

I'll make a sketch of the external resistor with relay system ... shortly.

John

PerTronixSketch.thumb.jpg.c39659eecbe856da384b62de7fb18bf2.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/28/2023 at 5:06 PM, Santawillis said:

This post actually explains the coil situation the best so I am bringing it back from dead.

My original California 76' has the .9Ohm resistor and I replaced the original dead coil (not sure why it was dead) with an autoparts store 1.5 Ohm coil, its been running well enough. My question is, is running a 1.5 ohm coil when the original black coil is .9ohm really make a considerable difference? Car is idling fine? Am I running a total resistance of 3.3ohms? .9 from resistor, ,9 from cable and 1.5 from coil? 

What am I missing here? This whole coil discussion seems endless! HELP! @John76 is my usual savior! :)

Don't forget that the rotor has a resistor.  See my avatar...  MSD+0 Ohm wires = melty melty. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002