• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a 3.64 ratio Speedo Gear & Trip Mechanism For a '75

A bit of a refresher but I am in need of guidance.

I have a 140MPH speedo with what appears to have a 3.91 gearing in it.  I am in need of a 3.64 gear, does any one have one please!! Or know of a place I can procure one, does dealership or after market sources out there?  

I am also looking for a trip gear too.

If I am able to get one, does anyone know how to install it?

Really can't enjoy running the 02 hard knowing I maybe way over the posted speed limit or not.

ANY HELP PLEASE!!

Justin

Didja check the "W" code on the back of your speedo?  If your speedo is geared for a 3.64 diff, it'll be stamped "W=1.297."   If for a 3.90 diff the marking will be "W=1.390."  For a 3.91 diff, "W=1.393."  The 4.11 diff from a 1600 will have a "W=1.4" marking.

cheers

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Unusual gearing for a 140mph speedo. They were used on UK tiis, and at least one base Touring (mine!) and, I believe, they came with 3:64 gearing.

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Are you running a 4-speed (1:1 ratio in 4th) or a 5-speed with overdrive (0.8 : 1) ?

With a 3.64 diff and standard 4-speed, your tach would read 7250 RPM @ 140 MPH!

Easy to check your speedo accuracy with a Speedometer app. on your phone.

314740983_022(2).thumb.JPG.f64529b0054257e06c7ba07a52fe6aa6.JPG

On 3/21/2020 at 3:51 PM, 02Les said:

Unusual gearing for a 140mph speedo. They were used on UK tiis, and at least one base Touring (mine!) and, I believe, they came with 3:64 gearing.

+1

And the U.K. — and, I suppose, Australia and Japan — would be the only likely applications of the 140-mph speedometer. I know nothing about U.K. tii’s, but I wouldn’t see a need for the 140-mph speedometer unless you had either a 3.45 diff. (European tii) or a 3.38 diff. (turbo). I do not intend to imply that a factory tii with a 3.45 diff can exceed 120 mph —except down a long steep downhill with a strong tailwind — but factory engineers generally specify that speedometers reflect some margin above a car’s predicted top speed.

What’s the date stamped into the back of the speedometer?

Of course, one must also consider that a speedometer might have been altered post-factory to accommodate a special “post-factory” application, e.g., different diameter tires.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)