• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

introducing myself, 1974 Touring

Zoeydebord

Hello,

I've been lurking around for a few months waiting to find and buy a great 2002.

I've finally just received the car I imported from the Netherlands.

Hope you like it!

I'm in Tucson AZ, so I'll be looking for a good mechanic. An recommendations are WELCOME!

At any rate, I want to thank everyone here for their amazing knowledge and insight. It's been a great help already.

All best, Larry

IMG_4737.JPG

IMG_4738.JPG

• Like 13

16 hours ago, John_in_VA said:

Congrats!  And the Netherlands loses another touring.

+1

Of course, the Netherlands has more tourings to lose than we... ?

Welcome to the club!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 hour ago, 02Les said:

Congratulations.

You are the 104th Owner of a Touring in North America (that I know of).

Wow, Les. That’s about twice what I would have guessed! Thanks for keeping track!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Welcome to the '02 fraternity/sorority...lotsa good folks here on the FAQ and plenty of friendly answers to your questions. 

It's a shame that Hoffman never imported Tourings...I think they would have done well in the US, if for no other reason than their uniqueness.  In the early 70s there were very few hatchbacks on the market here other than such gems as Pintos and Vegas (and the much more useful Renault R16, the first modern hatchback).  But from what I understand, Max didn't want to stock all the Touring-unique spare parts, so it wasn't imported (same with the Targa).

If you're a BMW CCA member, this year's Ofest (presuming it isn't canceled) will be near Palm Springs CA in September...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As a design historian (not a car expert, mind), the 2002 was always my favorite car full stop. When I discovered the touring version I knew I had to have one.

@02Les I'm guessing most of those cars in the US are in the Bay Area :)

@mike I'd LOVE to drive to Palms Springs this year, but I won't get my hopes up.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Here is my email from the BMW Archive:

The BMW 2002 Touring VIN 3462696 was manufactured on March 21st, 1974 and delivered on May 09th, 1974 to the Netherlands. The original colour was Inka, paint code 022.

14 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

Bear Down!  I rode in my first 2002 in Tucson many years ago.

Don't know much about them but seems like most Tourings I've seen are Inka. Any validity to that or is it just me.

Of the ones I know of in North America, 25 are Inka + 2 Green (orig Inka) & 1 Fjord (orig Inka). So, around 20% of those in NA are Inka.

• Like 2

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

7 hours ago, 02Les said:

Of the ones I know of in North America, 25 are Inka + 2 Green (orig Inka) & 1 Fjord (orig Inka). So, around 20% of those in NA are Inka.

The cover of the British brochure have features an inka touring. Maybe that’s the color they were promoting in those years?

it IS a great color...