• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have an electric choke...do I need this coolant hose?

Robert Kyle

I want to replace my temperature switch housing (on the right, hooked up) with one from a 320i (left) that has two fittings holes for switches (I want to run a separate temp gauge along with the OEM one).  The 2002 housing has a coolant hose going to the intake manifold.

Do i need this coolant hose?  The 320i doesn't have one.

I figure the heater hose and the water pump hose going to the intake would be enough?  No? 

20200320_180715-1.jpg

5 minutes ago, Robert Kyle said:

(does it get water there?)

Feel underneath and you will answer your question.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 minutes ago, Robert Kyle said:

nothing.  No water under there that I can feel.

Your question is answered, that is used by emission system (T1 Switch).  There is a T2 Switch used by the emission system under the manifold in the water jacket.  If your emission system is not hooked up, it may be a candidate for replacing the T2 switch with a temp gauge sender.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Off topic, but it looks like are missing the insulating bushings under the nuts that attach your fuel pump.

#3 in this diagram

Fuel supply/pump/filter 
Sponsored links

No. Description Supp. Qty  From   Up To  Part Number Price   Notes
01 Push rod   1     13311255727 $5.85    
02 Insulator AF 1     11111721614 $6.77    
03 Insulating bushing   2     13310075752 $1.57    

Sponsored links

The T1 Switch is the ambient air sensor. The mounting is a threaded hole in the manifold webbing. No plug is needed (no water).

The T2 Switch is the coolant sensor underneath the manifold. This sticks up into the hot coolant used to heat the intake charge.

Not sure if this would  be an ideal location for accurate coolant temps. The flow through the intake manifold is fairly restricted.

Either leave the switch in place, or toss it into the neighbor's pool and use a threaded plug and crush washer to seal the opening.

17 hours ago, Robert Kyle said:

I figure the heater hose and the water pump hose going to the intake would be enough?  No? 

20200320_180715-1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the bowl-shaped depression directly below the temp sender switch on your original 2002 fitting looks suspiciously like an un-drilled/tapped boss for some other sender.  It's similar to the undrilled boss on non-tii oil filter housings; on a tii it's drilled/tapped for the oil line that runs to the K-fish pump. 

If you take the water distribution fitting off the car (or examine a spare that's already removed) I'll bet you'll find that you could drill/tap this hole to take another sender.  I did exactly that on my oil filter housing to accommodate an oil temperature gauge fitting and it works like a charm.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite