• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Riviera Resto

• 2 weeks later...

The battery relocation to the trunk will be secured down with Kooglewerk's hand made tray.  Once I saw drawings teased on instagram, I was so excited for it.  Excellent craftsmanship, love what Forrest and crew are doing for the 02 community.  

60149005192__62E4397A-2D79-4BD7-8050-7B79D1830D1F.JPG

Made a pattern of the original trunk floor vinyl to cut some extra material the upholsterer had leftover. 

IMG_0354.jpg

How it's going to look completed.  On the fence about putting the wheel well mini pieces on the sides or not.  

IMG_0353.jpg

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3

A nice trick to do to the caliper pistons is to use POR 15 high heat silver paint on the inside of them, keeps them cleaner and nicer   Why didn't you plate all the bleeder screws and the hold down spring and pins ?    With the gloss black, that would really stand out      I did a set of calipers and powder coated the chrome color and then did a translucent red on them for a fellow   His car was red    With all the bolts and bits all plated yellow zinc  they really looked good   Should have taken pictures of them      Nice job on yours

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

Another thought, are you doing any thing to the metal parts that you have glass beaded?   From experience, if you don't coat them with something, they will rust.      I really like the look of glass beaded parts so I have using Gibbs oil on the surface of bits that have been glass beaded, it absorbs into the open pores of the metal and gives it some protection against the environment    You do have to reapply after about a year or so. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 9:05 PM, stephers said:

A nice trick to do to the caliper pistons is to use POR 15 high heat silver paint on the inside of them, keeps them cleaner and nicer   Why didn't you plate all the bleeder screws and the hold down spring and pins ?    With the gloss black, that would really stand out      I did a set of calipers and powder coated the chrome color and then did a translucent red on them for a fellow   His car was red    With all the bolts and bits all plated yellow zinc  they really looked good   Should have taken pictures of them      Nice job on yours

Thanks, Rick

I'm hesitant to put anything on those components inside the brake system.  For the plating, I contemplated it early on, but opted on just installing the new oem hardware without plating every bit.  No doubt the plating does look amazing both on its on and in contrast to what it's bolted to, but just not what I wanted to do. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:14 PM, stephers said:

Another thought, are you doing any thing to the metal parts that you have glass beaded?   From experience, if you don't coat them with something, they will rust.      I really like the look of glass beaded parts so I have using Gibbs oil on the surface of bits that have been glass beaded, it absorbs into the open pores of the metal and gives it some protection against the environment    You do have to reapply after about a year or so. 

Yeah the stuff that was blasted got painted or clear coated. 

On 9/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, jp5Touring said:

Love everything about this

On 9/17/2020 at 11:18 AM, e9er said:

Wow!!, what a fantastic restoration!  Love the color, interior, wheels, everything.  

Thanks guys! 

• Like 1

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3

Very pretty!  I'd did the similar restoration a few years ago, but you really took it up a level!  You'll really love it when you're done.  One thing: Rear brakes -- you need the little U-channel to hold the upper spring to the spreader bar, or it will rattle.  Or you could just use a piece of some seizing wire in a pinch.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 11:45 PM, iinca said:

If this is going to be an almost daily driver why all the Poly in the suspension?

I'm going to (mostly) side with @AceAndrew on this one.  Poly in the suspension joints is just fine comfort wise, provided you don't mind a little *squeak* over bumps.  BUT, poly engine and/or transmission mounts on the other hand, are in NO way acceptable NVH-wise for a street car! The driveline bits are holy-vibration-hell, but don't sweat the suspension ones, those are fine!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmiller said:

Very pretty!  I'd did the similar restoration a few years ago, but you really took it up a level!  You'll really love it when you're done.  One thing: Rear brakes -- you need the little U-channel to hold the upper spring to the spreader bar, or it will rattle.  Or you could just use a piece of some seizing wire in a pinch.

Thank you.  That's awesome!  I never intended to do this or go this far.  It's all been "while I'm there" and snowballed from there

haha.  Send me some pics of yours, I would love to see it.  Do you have a pic or PN of what you're referencing?  I just replaced what I already had back there, but never noticed any rattling.  

32 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I'm going to (mostly) side with @AceAndrew on this one.  Poly in the suspension joints is just fine comfort wise, provided you don't mind a little *squeak* over bumps.  BUT, poly engine and/or transmission mounts on the other hand, are in NO way acceptable NVH-wise for a street car! The driveline bits are holy-vibration-hell, but don't sweat the suspension ones, those are fine!

Yeah exactly.  Polys on a street car are fine.  Of course rubber will be softer, but that's not what I'm looking for as it's not a daily.  Anything stiffer than rubber in the drivetrain is a different story on a street car.  No need for that. 

• Like 1

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3

6 hours ago, jmiller said:

PN 34213061725

#10 in the diagram

image.png

image.png

Oh right on, didn't see that, I gotta order those up!  I don't recall seeing those when I did the brake system years ago when I first got it on the road.  That or my memory isn't serving me well which could also be the case hah.  Thanks for pointing that out! 

1972 2002tii // 2008 M3