• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My speedometer is weird

Robert Kyle

19 minutes ago, visionaut said:

... Now I know my speedo must've been swapped!...

Or... maybe, Tom, they were cranking out good and defective speedometers simultaneously, e.g., Over in the Instrument Assembly Room, Helmut’s box of speedometer gears was correctly marked, but Hans’ box of speedometer gears was incorrectly marked...

You do realize, Tom, that now you’re going to have to pull the cluster and check it out? ?

Thanks in advance! Awaiting photographs... ?

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I have pulled the cluster, but have not disassembled the speedometer itself.  I suppose we could count the teeth on a gear or two and get more answers.  I've wondered about the timing thing too, in that it may have just been a mix up of parts, without an actual start stop date.  It is nice that we have these things to keep us entertained.

Oh!  I was just going to suggest that Tom check the date on his speedometer, when I figured out that you were talking to him, not me!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

118 mph, or anything close to that, is impressive with the 3.9 differential.  was the tachometer pegged?...

Been asked before, Tom: when your foot is pinned to the floor, you’re moving through traffic strictly above 100 mph — despite a 55 mph limit — and you’re likely to kill yourself, some stranger, or lose your license for a few years, you’re not looking at the tachometer. I have no clue what the tachometer read, but it was pretty... “busy” in the ‘76! Or was that buzzy? ?

Please note: I was, sadly, I suppose, not going 118 mph. My speedometer was indicating 118 mph on the downhills but the corrected speed was probably 107-ish. Hell, I’ve done that in my 2014 Toyota Sienna AWD!

Best regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Haha!  Hans and Helmut were always messing with us, Steve.

Looking at your pics - I see additional evidence that my whole cluster's likely swapped...

My cluster face is black-textured, not woodgrain - and I only have a single 'warning light on the left', on the right it's a smaller diameter reset knob. And I don't have Robert's adapter faceplate, and my speedo reads pretty accurately. 

Tom-too ;)

Edited by visionaut
  • Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

5 hours ago, visionaut said:

Robert - mine's got the same birthday!  :D How'd yours get delivered so quick - mine took 2.5 months!  lol

"The BMW 2002 US (Automatic) VIN 2392593 was manufactured on May 11th, 1976 and delivered on July 28th, 1976 to BMW of North America. The original colour was Polaris metallic, paint code 060."

You're 4 cars behind mine. The closest to mine that I know is Keith Kreeger's wife's 02 which is 1 number ahead of mine. A tight pack of 3 survivors.

I see you're in Seattle.  My 2002 was originally imported into New Orleans, LA, and the Kreeger's are in the midwest.  Scattershot distribution!

Now I know my speedo must've been swapped!

Tom

Tom,

2392592 Polaris with sunroof, was on Ebay in 2007 and was in Laguna Hills, CA. No newer news on it unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17