• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker Trim - Mounting hole sizes and spacing

revolve40

Hi all,

The previous owner of my car filled and painted over the mounting holes for the lower rocker trim and I’ve decided it’s time to add it back - the car feels incomplete without it.

Does anyone have any tips regarding the hole sizes or spacing between holes or is this a “best guess” type scenario? You can imagine how stressful it will be drilling holes into the body of my car.

Thanks for any insight!

I wonder if there is a really strong double-sided tape, or other adhesive option available these days.

OTOH my trim is not installed. I  guess I could walk out to the driveway and look after the dog quits sleeping on my leg :)

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

11 minutes ago, ray_ said:

I wonder if there is a really strong double-sided tape, or other adhesive option available these days.

OTOH my trim is not installed. I  guess I could walk out to the driveway and look after the dog quits sleeping on my leg :)

Cheers,

IMG_20200328_104732613.jpg

Ray

Measuring from the seam in the rocker, directly below the fender/door opening, the fender trim mounting hole is exactly 6" forward of the seam. 

From the seam rearward (seam at 0"): 5.25, 16.375, 27.5, 38.375, 46.875, 53.125, 60.375.

That was driver side. Pass side is the same except the first measurement at the fender is 5.75ish!

The trim mounting hole centers are 1.5" below the door sill top edge.

This is on my '73 USA market car.

?

Edited by ray_
  • Thanks 1

Ray

Since the rocker panel trim clips can slide along the length of the trim piece, the hole location doesn't have to be down to the last millimeter.  Just make sure you have enough clips to hold the trim in place, and use the later style clip (originally meant for an E21); much better than the smaller original style.  The trim is heavy and hollow on the back; don't think an adhesive or Velcro is gonna be strong enough.  The forward most hole (in the front fender) is secured with a stud plate and nut, not a plastic clip. 

To insure the trim is mounted parallel to the car, measure from the hole in the fender upwards to the kink just above it; then take the same measurement at the edge of the rear wheel opening, and snap a chalk line between the hole in front and the measurement at the rear.  Drill your holes along that line.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

before drilling, get yerself some clips and measure the pin. I'd wager it's 5.5mm diameter based on holding an allen key against mine.

Ray

14 minutes ago, esty said:

i'm inclined to believe that as long as the holes are on a straight line, front to rear the exact distance between the brackets is not so relevant as long as you use enough

I agree with that. But if the PO fixed the holes with steel wool and bubble gum, it might be a good idea to revisit them if possible :)

Cheers,

Ray

Here's a rocker:

BMW E10 SCHWELLER außen links alle Modelle 1502 1602 1802 2002 Ti ...

Note the three big holes at the rear between door and wheel. They give clearance to the inner parts of the clips when installed.

If you drill your fender at different spots or drill for additional clips they won't have enough space inside for spreading their prongs.

(Other side:)

BMW E10 Blech für Schweller hinten Seitenwand unten rechts 1502 ...

Don't ask me how I learned this.

hen

Edited by Henning
  • Like 1

A kind faqer (unfortunately I forget his name) sent me the measurements for the first two holes from the rear.

60mm to the first and 246mm to the second. I already had the 3rd hole along, and mine measured 412~413mm.

All distances taken from the rear edge of a replacement body section part & at the appropriate height.

1297074043_RockerTrimHoleLocations4.jpg.a3dfb3885cc6e6dd86e6e8dd48bbf7de.jpg2105088579_RockerTrimHoleLocations2.jpg.72c628fe89db94a9b6fc870f9717965f.jpg1732349257_RockerTrimHoleLocations3.jpg.c7e175ab94ab2cbc035cdb527168c638.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17