• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'74 TII CLOCK REPAIR IN CALIF?

GC-CA

Does anyone know of a clock/speedo shop in CA that can fix the clock in my '74tii?  I'm ok with new guts or an anaolg repair.  I have grown tired of friends telling me its correct twice a day!

Thx in advance for any info  

Once it's in a box does it matter where you send it?!  Paul Wegweiser swears by Buz at Seattle Speedo: http://seattlespeedometer.com/.  Paul W above has had good results with this shop in WI:   http://www.clockwks.com/The_Clock_Worx.html

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

You can try Gary Auberlen at Paul's Speedometer in Redondo Beach.  He fixed my speedo and when I mentioned my Tii clock was wonky, he said he could fix it.  When I get around to it, I'll probably mine to him to see what he can do and probably be a cheaper alternative.

2nd Palo Alto Speedometer. They've rebuilt/restored speedos, tachs and clocks for Pebble Beach entrants FYI.

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

Keep in mind WRT tii clocks:  72 and 73 cars have electro-mechanical clocks--they're mechanical clocks that are wound electrically and automatically by a solenoid and set of points.  '74 tii's have a solid state (quartz) clock, a completely different setup from the earlier clocks, requiring a different skill set to repair. 

Repairing early clocks is more akin to speedometer repair; later ones, more akin to electronics repair.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I'm not sure, but I think that back when I had my 73tii's clock repaired by Palo Alto Speedometer, they replaced the old clock mechanism with a quartz unit.  It keeps perfect time and has the original early all black faceplate. No ping noise like the original though...  which I miss ?

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

Here is an update in case it helps someone...

PA Speedo (Hartmut) does indeed work on these clocks.  What they do is install your original face and hands on to a new MotoMeter quartz clock.  The look and connections will stay the same.  Included in the conversion is a new black bezel, and plastic lens.  The cost is $485.00 + shipping.  The lead time right now is about 2 to 3 weeks.  The price is not too bad but PA Speedo does not remove or replace so you have to pull the clock and send it to them.  From what I know about these clocks, remove/install is not that easy but at least there is a solution to get a working clock

GC

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2020 at 2:42 PM, mike said:

Keep in mind WRT tii clocks:  72 and 73 cars have electro-mechanical clocks--they're mechanical clocks that are wound electrically and automatically by a solenoid and set of points.  '74 tii's have a solid state (quartz) clock, a completely different setup from the earlier clocks, requiring a different skill set to repair. 

Repairing early clocks is more akin to speedometer repair; later ones, more akin to electronics repair.

mike

Correct Mike!  It's been a lot of years, but I repaired the clocks in my '72tii & my '73tii...they sound a bit different but they keep on ticking....a real thing of beauty to listen to in the garage!  I do not relish the thought of having to remove either clock again though!  My old bones can't take that any more.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"