• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Floors: To cut or not to cut drain plugs?

Mucci

Just ordered a set of replacement front floor panels from Restoration Design. I see they're stamped for the big drain plugs but not cut out. I'm curious what the consensus is on cutting these out to function like OEM or to leave them as one clean sheet.

I live in Portland, OR where it's wet almost always. I'm concerned the moisture threat from under the car is higher than within the car. 

Plus, does anybody actually remove these plugs to periodically to drain liquid...?

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

24 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Just ordered a set of replacement front floor panels from Restoration Design. I see they're stamped for the big drain plugs but not cut out. I'm curious what the consensus is on cutting these out to function like OEM or to leave them as one clean sheet.

I live in Portland, OR where it's wet almost always. I'm concerned the moisture threat from under the car is higher than within the car. 

Plus, does anybody actually remove these plugs to periodically to drain liquid...?

I believe Mike S. (@mike) has explained that those drains were part of the manufacturing process, to drain paint or primer from the interior. Assuming that’s true — and it’s the best explanation I’ve heard — you shouldn’t be needing them, ever! And, no, no one removes them periodically to drain their car.

The only significant reason I can see to cut them out and render them largely “workable” might be to preserve, at least, an appearance of originality. This might be valuable if you are planning to take your car to Pebble Beach and hope to have the car judged at 100 points. Otherwise, they probably don’t need to be cut out.

With all of this said, there are likely forum members who have cut them out!

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

16 hours ago, Mike G said:

Don’t cut them out. It creates a rust trap. 

I third this.

When I stripped all the undercoat off the E30, I found quite a 

few small, stamped drains in low points in the floor.

They face backward, and viewed from behind, look like a 5/8"

half- moon, with a thickness of maybe 3/16".  Small, but

strategically placed.  I cleaned them all out,

and now, when we race in the rain,

the car drains itself pretty well.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL