• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First oversize (“+0.25” and “89.22”). And piano-top implies an E12 head...

The height of the piano-top determines the compression ratio. There are threads that correlate height with compression ratios, as E12 piano tops were manufactured in a range of compression ratios: I believe from 8.3:1 to 9.5:1 (was there ever a 10.0:1 ratio for European tii’s with E12 heads?).

Likely irrelevant comment: those orange labels indicate bona fide old NOS. I believe the orange labels were phased out in the 1980’s! Cool.

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Just some additional information about historical use of this size piston.  
For what it’s worth, I’ve got a factory rebuilt replacement m10 (Red or was it Blue bolt) in my car.  When KB refreshed it, a few years back now, we discovered that the factory rebuilt replacement motor carried first oversize overbore (“+0.25” and “89.22”piano tops.  I think this was the standard configuration for replacement m10’s from BMW back in the day.  Not sure about the compression ratio, we didn’t think to measure the piano top height at that time.

Mark

1974  02  Inka

1975  02  Chaminoix (parts car)

1995  318ti  Hellrot

• 1 year later...