• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake warning system on a 69 1600

Steve570GT

49 minutes ago, Preyupy said:

My 1600 was built in 9/69 (1570087)  and came with the remote mounted reservoir including the fluid level sensor.  It was a Mechanical clutch.  It was converted to hydraulic in June 1981 when I installed the OD 5 speed.  I just changed the reservoir to the 3 port one used on the 2002 and changed the pedal box.  For some reason I remember back in the early 70's not understanding the differences between the cars with the reservoir mounted on the master cylinder and the remote ones.  It seemed very hit and miss at the time.   Some of it may have been the difference between the 2 piston and 4 piston front calipers.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

I also have a Feb 68 1600, #1562947 which I have owned since new.  Coming out of the factory, it should have been very similar to yours.  Mine came with a mechanical clutch, tandem brake master cylinder mounted on the pedal box and a remote brake booster.  What you are calling the clutch reservoir mounting bracket is actually where the brake fluid reservoir was mounted.  The reservoir had 2 nipples at the bottom which were connected to metal tubing which ran down to the master cylinder at the pedal box.  The reservoir cap did not have a low level float.  The warning light in the gauge cluster was wired to a fitting between the brake master cylinder and the brake booster that was triggered when there was unequal pressure from the two pistons in the master cylinder.  I would post a picture of the set up but I also changed everything.  I now have a 5 speed, hydraulic clutch, 2002 pedal box and brake booster and 320i brakes.  Early 1600 parts were getting harder to find so that is the main reason I made these changes.  Its probably why your car has been modified also.

• Like 2

Now that makes perfect sense. The wiring I located to tie into the warning level circuit was also tied into the harness near the brake booster. It would not have been long enough to reach the old brake reservoir (mounted on top of the brake master cylinder. It works perfectly for the new reservoir warning cap. Amazing what I am learning on this forum