• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watch those 123 clips!

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

Do what Tom recommended and put it in first, foot firmly on the brake.

Thanks for the clarification, excited to try again over the weekend. I'll put it in first gear and give it a go. Coming from the old VW world engine/transaxle mounts were something I never had issues with so have a big blank spot in my brain when it comes to this type of diagnosis. Makes total sense it needs to be in gear. Duh!  I'll report back for posterity.

Eric

The test I recommended might not be so smart though, if it breaks your cap/rotor in the process.

An inch of movement at the distributor when revving the engine seems like a lOt.  Maybe it'd be safer to put a jack under the oil pan and lift the engine a bit, while inspecting the mounts.  

Surely you've read about the driver's side mount's base cracking.  If not, here is a six page long thread on that topic.  Post number one has a nice video from Jrhone. 

Is it the passenger's side mount failure that is so hard on distributors?

Tom

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ray_ said:

You could probably grab the motor by hand and rock it make a determination. It's not that heavy.

This. I had a broken mount that continued to break the cap/rotor and I thought it was the dizzy for a while until a friend told me to stand on the drivers side of the engine bay and try and pull the motor towards me. Sure enough, I could get it to come up quite a lot and was able to tell the mount was broken. Its pretty obvious.

Also, for the oil intrusion into the cap on 123 distributors, mine is starting to leak and occasionally causing some rough running. A shame since it cost so much.

Got the car up in the air for a mount inspection and snapped some pictures. Had to use my cheapo CyberShot camera due to the close quarters. Also tried to take a short movie while rocking the motor but really need a camera person. I can report that the engine definitely doesn't flop around like the one shown above in this topic but it does move either way with effort. 

Appears to my rookie eye that maybe my drivers side mount has already been reinforced a bit but I can't really tell. I could not see any witness marks on the rain gutter or spark plug wires caused by contact. The condition of the rubber doesn't appear that bad but again this is new to me. Here's some pictures of the drivers side followed by a couple from, the passengers side.

DSC00045.JPG      

DSC00046.JPG  

DSC00047.JPG 

DSC00049.JPG  

DSC00051.JPG 

DSC00051.JPG

Edited by 7502

13 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Try bending a Bosch clip!

I'm afraid Eric's problem had more to do with the throttle blip, than the flimsy clips.

I am on the edge of my seat, awaiting an engine mount report.

Tom  - Does that engine movement seem excessive?

I just went up and tried to move mine and it seemed to move less than yours, but I am not sure how hard you're pulling.  It looks like a pretty good tug, which says a lot for the stock air cleaner mounting design.

Your mounts don't look gooey and soft and it seems the rubber's still attached to the metal bits. 

More firmness might be better, but it doesn't look cap-smacking loose.

How is the tranny mount?  Would that also keep it from twisting? 

There is a lot of torque involved in a churp the tire launch.

Is there anything holding the plug wires down?  Could they pull the cap off if the engine tilted?

A quick jerk of the engine could just shake that cap off, if the clips are not pre tensioned as stevenola mentions above.

With the bosch clips, you pinch in on the sides and the SNAP into place.  If the 123 clips are soft, they'll bend if you put them on that way, getting a weaker grip and then falling off easily.  I'd put a zip tie around those clip tops.  It might look kinda neat-o.

Those photos are great.  Post more!  Post more!

Let's see those clips and plug wires!

• Like 1

Wondering if drivers side mount has been repaired of re-enforced at some point. Looks like an extra section has been added?

DSC00050_LI.jpg  

My spark plug wires were routed along the side held loosely w/ zip ties along the way. This is what it looked like originally.

DSC00059.JPG 

I removed the closest tie so now it has more free play. Currently the clips feel like they are holding it fairly well after tightening them up the other day. 

DSC00063.JPG 

I think the transmission mount is good since it was replaced during the 5 speed swap.

DSC00072.JPG

Edited by 7502

My 02 cents, 7502's engine is held in properly. That left engine mount support looks modified to me.

At this point, I'd focus, as suggested, on finding ways that the wires may be pulling on the cap, and ways to ensure the cap stays in place. In the movie, I notice there are no plug wire restraints visible, the wires appear to go toward the fender. I've only had roundies, but I'm used to seeing those wires routed through clips mounted on the valve cover nuts.

From the movie:

image.png.48100c4dcdcf478142ec2df5fffff6c9.png

Random photo:

image.thumb.png.c05860b6fc69a1fe93ea5d0ec43b80ba.png

Hope this helps...

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Made some plug wire straps together using pipe hanger covered in two layers of old inner tubes. Not convinced it will handle the heat though. This is a trial run, might have to order some pre made ones.

DSC00073.JPG

• Like 3