• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which other BMW?

fastricky

Are you talking "sky's the limit" for your second (presumably vintage) BMW or something that's actually affordable?  If the former, I'd go with a pre-war 328 roadster, or perhaps a 335 cabriolet.  If the latter category, the closest thing to a 2002 is either an E30 318is or an E36 318ti...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

To compliment my 1973 Tii, I bought a 1968 1600 Cabriolet.

I should have bought this BMW a 1934 315/1 with a 328 motor it sold for $134K at Bohhams at The Quail in 2018.

Veronika Garage 03.jpg

4e25d4917e8ffe44b3314d9dbcbbc8d87b24728b-780x520.jpg

• Like 8

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

I like the E46 right now-

'adequate' power, plentiful parts in the you- pullets, and while it's a bit 

more computer work than a tractor, it's possible to talk to each module and 

program them.  Parts often cost more than whole parts cars do.  

I LIKE taking apart parts cars!!!

I think the E36 M3 is one of the nicest balances between power, control, driver feel and handling BMW

has ever made.  Modern enough to be capable of massive grip, powerful enough to get itself into trouble,

and simple enough that you have to be a driver to get yourself out of trouble.  And enough

brake that you can do that for hours.

t

ltw 3.jpg

e36 ltw2.jpg

E36 ltw

Edited by TobyB
exploding pictures
  • Like 6

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Fun topic!  I’ll interpret “other BMW complementary to your 02” as being all the things I’d need or want from a second BMW that my 02 isn’t. So a second precious sunny weather classic car to be wrenched on and obsessed over would be out for me. My 02 already fulfills all my needs for a too-much-fun, time-warping driving experience. So I’d seek a yang to my yin — to achieve ‘balance’... ? 

I’d need/want a non-SUV daily driver with full time all-weather AWD, gobs of all-altitude turbo power & torque, with readily adaptable driving & handling capabilities, and the ability to pack a 2-week ski trip for two with everything inside and room to spare - plus at other times provide luxurious seating for 5 or sport touring for two. It would obviously need to be outfitted with the full-suite of current technologies (chassis to lighting to engine management to infotainment). And also gets double the MPGs and goes 4x as far on a tank of gas, while looking sleek, modern and aggressive, and providing that characteristic BMW sport-driven focus.

I actually did just that analysis about 2 years ago and I ended up selecting this. A fully M-optioned 435iX Gran Coupé. Couldn’t be happier. I got my yin and my yang (but now I’m obsessed with two cars)...

Tom-too

Ps: done again today, without reality’s financial constraints, I might opt for an M8 Gran Coupé.

23FBBE99-3717-4755-ADE9-81D2BE64D83C.jpeg

Edited by visionaut
  • Thanks 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com