• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Sir Stirling Moss

02Les

2002 content to keep it on-topic!

Posted by Richard Stern:

Sad loss of Sir Stirling Moss pictured here in his BMW 2000 Touring. He also owned a black Tii RHD Touring converted new by the BMW importer back in the early ‘70’s. RIP Stirling you’ll be missed.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Wow!  Sorry to hear this.  He was truly one of the greats who survived the hazards that came along with the early years or racing.  He seemed to always be there when it came to racing.  He will be missed!  

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

The first picture appeared in the inaugural issue of Windy City BMW newsletter with the caption that he got his license returned after having it suspended for a year for speeding in his Touring BMW.

Mac. . 

Growing up in Ft Lauderdale, I naturally followed the Bahamas Speed Week races; I had a friend and classmate who attended one of the races that Sterling Moss won ('56 and '57) and proudly showed me a scrap of plexiglass he claimed came from the windshield of Moss' car.  

He was one of more than a few "gentlemen drivers" of the 50s...

His first race car was a pre-war BMW 328, BTW.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Was at the 2010 Monterey Historics when he got pronged by another driver at turn 2.  I had taken a picture of his Porsche the previous day. Unforgetable. As Toby mentions above, to live through that era as a racing driver was to really beat the odds.

Stirling Moss at the 1961 USGP.  In the pits which is now between turns 1 and 2.  He led a good portion of the race but blew his engine around midway allowing Innes Ireland to win his only F1 race.  Moss did win the Formula Libre race at the Glen in 1959.  This picture was sent to me by my dad who was at the race, not sure if he took it though.  Moss's only USGP at the Glen was in '61.  RIP 

FL201302-p1.jpg

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I had the great honor to meet him and crew for him a number of times.  He drove a few of our cars in vintage races over the years and would come and hang out at our trailer at Monterey when he was there.  He even stopped by when I was at Pebble Beach waiting for the judges and gave me a bit of ribbing about not being at the track.  He congratulated me and then went on about his tour of the lawn.  

He was always a kind and generous man.  Some of the stories were EPIC!!!   

Rest well Sir Stiring Moss,  you deserve it.  

Moss RS61.JPG

• Like 4

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

3 hours ago, jscaptura1 said:

Stirling Moss at the 1961 USGP.  In the pits which is now between turns 1 and 2.  He led a good portion of the race but blew his engine around midway allowing Innes Ireland to win his only F1 race.  Moss did win the Formula Libre race at the Glen in 1959.  This picture was sent to me by my dad who was at the race, not sure if he took it though.  Moss's only USGP at the Glen was in '61.  RIP 

FL201302-p1.jpg

Not often I get to say this....but, I was there for the '59 race. My high school baseball coach was a motor head and drove his early Volvo to the track (3 1/2 hours each way). The pit buildings were not there and only snow fencing kept spectators off the track. just a wide spot in the short straight before the hill. All the cars were using the early vegetable-based Castrol oil. I didn't have a camera but I could pick out Moss and Chapman. Sad day indeed, a remarkable driver.

Edited by Mike A
  • Like 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?