• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blinker cancel tab

Swiznooski

I think they are all the same size.

That being said, I can't tell from photo if the steering wheel tab is too short, or if it's overall width doesn't come out far enough.

if you have already loosened the screws on the switch and pushed the switch and arm in closer to the tab, maybe some careful bending of the canceling tab on the switch will get it to meet the tab on the column.

'71 colorado 2002

6 minutes ago, colorobo2002 said:

if you have already loosened the screws on the switch and pushed the switch and arm in closer to the tab

Look carefully at your picture and you'll see the faint imprint of the turn signal lever assy attachment screws several mm inboard of where they are now.  The mounting holes in the lever assy are slotted for exactly that reason.  A few mm of movement towards the steering column should do the trick.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Swiznooski said:

Is the tab on the blinker switch supposed to be bent down? If the tab on the blinker switch was bent up it might work.

Perhaps some careful bending of the canceling tab on the switch will get it to meet the tab on the column. Remove the switch and see what is causing the misalignment or play in it.

Edited by colorobo2002

'71 colorado 2002

There is a spec for pre-loading the steering column (third photo down) which I didn't do after I reinstalled the steering box after re-habbing the front subframe. That would have solved the problem, but instead I just cut a few spacers and reinstalled the switch with longer screws. Kind of goofy, but it works.

Steering Column preload.jpg

Edited by duckdudess
added photo

When you tighten the steering wheel, it will compress the spring somewhat and move the tab closer to where it should be.

As said, maybe the cancelling tab is bent down and needs straightening.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I did notice that and I thought that maybe I had assembled it wrong. I switched the tapered spacer with the tab piece and quickly realized that the tapered spacer is needed to center the tab piece over the spring retaining clip.

I’m going to try giving the column more preload, if I get 6mm it should reach.

Does the tab on the blinker switch have a bend in it, or should it be straight? Mine is bent down.

12 hours ago, Swiznooski said:

I think it’s maxed out in the column direction.

Two thoughts: 

• try squeezing the end of the tab in a vise to push it outwards a bit--just squeeze the very end as you don't want to ovalize the part that's pressed into the back of the steering wheel, or it won't stay in place.
  • remove the turn signal lever assembly from the car and open out the mounting holes a few mm.  The housing is pot metal and is easy to either file or open out with a Dremel grinder.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

If someone installed the steering wheel when the turn signal switch was not in the middle position the tab would be extended and the canceling blade on the wheel probably bent the tab on the switch.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC