• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fuel pump and oil pressure relay

Moto Carlo

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

One thing that Jim's picture reminds me-  mounting angle matters.

It's a Ford switch and is mounted straight up

A feature that this location affords is a sharp blow with the heel of your hand on the rear fender trips the switch.  A poor man's anti-theft device.  It's important to remember if the switch has been tripped.

Are you reoriented now?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Yes, thanks!  

I didn't mean to imply yours was wrong,

but from the angle of the bracket and

photo, it reminded me that 'up' matters.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I remember a local Rally team back in the late 70's spent the better part of a year building a new car.  It was beautiful and very well done.  They had a great driver and an experienced co-driver.  It was the Olympus Rally (it was a really big thing back then), at the start the car took off in a shower of gravel and off into the forest.  About 2 minutes later the car died.  DNF'ed the stage and got towed back to the service area,  The crew spent over 2 hours trying to figure out why there was no fuel.  Then someone (a spectator) pointed to the little box mounted in the trunk by the fuel cell and asked if that was an inertia switch for the fuel pump?  Someone pushed the reset button and they were back on the road (as soon as they wired around it).   I think you need to know what you are planning on doing with the car if your are going to rely on an inertia switch for an emergency cut off for your fuel pump.  

One good thing about modern EFI is you can use the ECU to control the fuel pump,  it runs for 5-10 sec when you turn on the key and turns off if the engine is not running.  If for some reason the engine stops the ECU turns off the fuel pump until you cycle the key again.   

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC