• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Options over 3M Weatherstrip for the heater flap insulation?

zambo

From here, looks open cell.  Steve knows I know foam.  Really need neoprene closed cell.  I do not know where to source.

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

na

Edited by Mike A

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

1 hour ago, beammmer said:

From here, looks open cell.  Steve knows I know foam.  Really need neoprene closed cell.  I do not know where to source.

Don

Thanks Don. I can get the foam you suggest easily enough here, just thought the pre-cut kit would be good as it included all the new grommets, etc. 

2 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

The problem with neoprene foam is it can be dense and then the flaps won’t close as it can’t compress enough, this is the issue I had, it’s sorted now thanks to Paul W

Hi SydneyTii - what was the solution? I noted your earlier response that the demister flap foam needs to be softer. I think with the EVA stuff you can go for a lower Shore rating to get a foam with more “give” than the firmer options in the EVA range. 

I’m also interested in Blunts response to my email. I’m guessing there’s no cost difference in using closed cell over open cell with the kits he sells, so I assume he chose it for a reason. Steve is always great to deal so I’m sure he’ll clarify in due course. 

6 hours ago, Hans said:

Last time I helped do a heater box we use soft prob open cell foam tape to get a good seal. Closed cell to seal box to car. 

Thanks Hans - a follow up from Steve confirms that his supplier has gone with the open cell to maintain originality, ease of closing/sealing of the flaps and cost - as closed cell is more expensive (though given the amounts of foam involved, probably not a lot - my take).

Finally found a source of the black 3M weatherstrip adhesive at a supplier to the trade.

7 hours ago, SydneyTii said:

Yes I used open cell on the flaps, cut closed cell to mount to the body so it doesn’t hold water.

The kit has closed cell for the box to body seal. 

Tracked this stuff down this afternoon. Now to work on these bits. 

2E27FDBA-F1E4-4EAA-B4A4-B0F335F32443.jpeg

• Like 1