• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

will not idle

Moto Carlo

Attached is a photo of the egr location I found in a supplemental owners manual I in the glove box.

But I am not sure where on the car I would see it, if it is still there.
?

But in terms of the thermal reactor, is that the mysterious cast iron piece I see over the exhaust manifold?

Photo (I took it off and hit it with some engine paint just to clean it up. It  is under the plug wires.

I am sure all the emissions stuff has been removed by now, but still wondering about the engine itself.
Does anyone know of any engine modes for California ? 
I ask because  when I ordered the single side draft Weber from Performance, Steve asked if it was a Ca car or a 49 state car , so he would get the jetting correct. Hummm?

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for the California vs 49 state cars.

Thanks to everyone for chiming in.

egr-valve.jpg

ernie-valve-cover.jpg

33 minutes ago, Moto Carlo said:

But in terms of the thermal reactor, is that the mysterious cast iron piece I see over the exhaust manifold?

No.  That is an aluminum heat shield to protect the plug wires.

The thermal reactor was a much larger version of the exhaust manifold.  That photo helps.  You don't have a reactor manifold.

You are running points now.  What is the current dwell setting?

Do you have a variable advance timing light?

OK. I have idle. Wahoo.

I put a fuel pressure regulator on the gas line and set it a 2.5 psi. Then took the float off the Weber. Sure enough it was set a 20mm. It is supposed to be 12mm (Some people push it as far as 15mm, but not 20). Doing those two things , now the car idles on it's own, and I am calling it a win.  ?

When I can get back to it, I will time it properly. Then go back to the carb adjustments. 
I also have a AFR gauge on the way. That was a good idea, and it should really help me get the jetting right. 

I simply wanted to do a follow up to this thread .
I appreciate all the help once again. I hope I can contribute along the way.
All the best.

• Like 1